Confederate Camp

randyinarkansas

Nov 2, 2007
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250
I've been hunting a piece of land that is supposed to have a Confederate Camp on it but I'm having a hard time finding anything to confirm. This is the first site like this that I've hunted so any tips you all can give me will be appreciated.

The land has an old house place and a road that dates back to this time period and several springs are on the property and lots of open fields.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Randy, i'm not a pro at relic hunting but I have done some and know a few things. Depending on what time of year it was SUMMER/WINTER, the encampment should be on the slope of a hill somewhat close to a water source. As you move along metal detecting it is probably pretty quiet for the most part until you get around the encampment. It will start being chattery and should start getting the little iron signals from square nails and such. If you start pulling up slop lead and stuff, you are very close if not right on top of it. If its alot of ground to cover then put on a big coil if you have that option and start walking the area covering alot of ground until you start to get those signals. Once you start to hear the signals, slow down and work the area as well as you can. Good Luck!! Johnny 8) 8)

OP
OP
randyinarkansas

randyinarkansas

Nov 2, 2007
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250
Dennis- I live in Fayetteville, which is steep in history. Lots of places to hunt in this area, but there's also alot of hunters.
Randy

quaydj

Dec 18, 2007
Cabot, Arkansas
Randy -
I've always like that area and yes there is a lot of history in them there woods.
Do you still need a hand finding the camp?
Dennis

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I belong to the Ozark Cptr of the GPAA.They now meet in Ozark at the VFW but they use to meet in Westfork,there at fayetteville and you are correct,there are a lot of areas that look like they should produce.Several of the members own land in that area and several do metal detect.You don't have to be a member of the GPAA(Gold Prospectors Assoc Amer.)to join the cptr or attend their mtgs.Maybe you could get some good leads from them.They have an outing every month.They meet the 2nd Sat of every month.Next is Feb 9,11am.

jrl7575

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Rogers, AR
Detector(s) used
El Cheapo 2000
Randy-

Are you talking about the Confederate Camp in Lowell? I know of one there that I have driven by many times and it looks wide open. Also, I have some good info about the Battle of Cane Hill. There looks like alot of good search area there as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.910834,-94.397138&spn=0.001595,0.003573&t=h&z=18&om=0

Here is the Lowell one I spoke of, it is on Old Wire Rd and Dogwood. I read about it in the newspaper about 2 months ago. Here is the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=36.277147,-94.114079&spn=0.006349,0.014291&t=h&z=16&om=0

Here is the article: http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/10/17/news/101807bzcrosshollow.txt

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look on the south side of the hills, they would have camped there for warmth of the sun especialy if it was winter time. Also look around the springs real good and any high ground close by the high ground can even be a 1/4 of a mile away.We found a camp with the springs a half mile away and the search was worth it...d2

jrl7575

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Rogers, AR
Detector(s) used
El Cheapo 2000
Thanks for the tips! The ground is a little frozen right now, but in a few weeks, I plan on driving down to Cane Hill to see what I can find. Anyone who would like to go, we can meet up and hopefully have a good hunt. Hopefully, the owners of any properties will be agreeable.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread