Confederate Dollars

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend of mine at work who says he has a briefcase full of confederate dollar bills and paper money that his uncle gave him years ago. I saw one of the dollar bills today....I think it was 1795 or something like that. Does anyone know a site that would tell you the value of these bills? I am wanting to buy some but neither of us are sure what they are worth. He is going to bring this breifcase to work next week for me to look at. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was not 1700's at all....it was around 1895 or so. this is a picture of one similar to what I saw today.

Attachments

• T55_11714.jpg
    T55_11714.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 628

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think in order for it to be
"Confederate States" it would need to be 1860's.
Civil war years. after the war they were no longer Confederate states.
Of course I'm not sure of the exact Age Range of the Civil War.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate bills will be dated 1861-1864. Be careful there are millions of fakes out there. They have been made as souvenirs,advertising gimmicks as well as to fool collectors for the last 145 years. www.csacurrency.com has some information on Confederate notes, but not values. Google Confederate currency and you will find a lot of sites that sell the bills, as well as information on how to make sure it is genuine. Many of these notes are quite affordable, but there are more fakes than real ones.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had these for probably 15 years. The $5 and $10 notes are hand signed and dated 1864. The one and two dollar notes are dated 1862. As you can see they are in rough shape. I doubt they are worth anything but Ive always enjoyed looking at them.

Attachments

• old confederate currency (Large).jpg
    old confederate currency (Large).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 628

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are awesome bills.I have always wanted a confederate something, or another....

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
1860's for sure, and the prices range from a few dollars to as high as you want to go.

Maybe it's cause I'm a such a Yankee city boy, but I think CSA notes are incredibly fascinating. Now that I think about it, just about everything from the South interests me. I spent a lot of my teenage years traveling with my family through the South on vacations---New Orleans, North Carolina, Tennessee, pretty much all over. Good times.

There are specialty books of just CSA memorabilia/money prices, but they're pretty tough to find. Maybe in the South they're more common?

The aforementioned CSA currency site is fantastic. They should cover all your bases.

Good luck, LJ!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I bought a Richmond 1862 One Dollar note yesterday identical to the one in the lower right corner, but in better shape for $35.

Giving it to my Dad this weekend for his birthday.

My 3-times great grandpa was killed in the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas fighting for the South.
One of his brothers was killed in the Battle of Shiloh also fighting for the South.

Their other brother was wounded fighting for the North, and never really recovered. He died in 1867 or so from ailments directly resulting from his war injuries.

So I figured I would buy my Dad a decent confederate note.

My coin dealer dude (who also deals in notes) had one for 10 bucks that lloked kinda raggly, like the ones posted above.

I decided to get one that was a little bit nicer.

My Dad is going to dig it.
;D

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Distant relative of Stonewall Jackson...Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase Confederate items????? Thanks, Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread