Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without digging, I can not honestly say.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...There were 889 Large Gold bricks hidden within 20 miles of Danville and then again there was another 889 Large Gold Bricks hidden in Tennessee.
The cache in Tennessee said, "A Grant of 889 Large Gold Bricks." Of course this came from the Bank of England about October, 1864...
On May 13, 1861, Queen Victoria issued THE PROCLAMATION OF NEUTRALITY, stating that Great Britain would remain formally neutral during the United States domestic Civil War, and would not support either side with aide or funds during the remainder of the war.
While the British government did not support the CSA, companies supplied the South with munitions, ships byway of the cotton trade and individual donations. The Union blockade stifled much of this trade commerce which caused many shortages for the Confederacy.
What is the source of "A Grant of 889 Large Gold Bricks" from the Bank of England, as that would violate Queen Victoria's Proclamation and a violator would have been punished under British Law?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Where does it mention "A Grant of 889 Large Gold Bricks" from the Bank of England in this newspaper article in which you were interviewed, Franklin?
You are aware of the 14th Amendement,Section 4 "neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States" due to the debts owed to companies in Great Britain by the Confederacy.
These debts were incurred because the "loans" were based on shipments of cotton and tobacco, which the Union blockade curtailed.
There is NO record of A "Grant" of gold from Great Britain to the CSA.
Also the United States sued Great Britain for damages caused by breach if the aforementioned neutrality law, by suppling the commerce raider ships , ALABAMA, FLORIDA and SHENDOAH, and the US was awarded damages if $15,500,000, September 14,1872 by the GENEVA TRIBUNAL.
"The thirteen millions of treasure with which Jeff Davis was to corrupt our armies and buy his escape, swindled down to the contents of a hand valise"- US General William T Sherman

Legend and lore combined with tales concerning the KGC have grossly expanded the remaining assets of the Confederate treasury after the fall of Richmond and the Flight from the Union.
I am only giving you the facts, not speculation based on legend and lore.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, must have some other information that we do not have. In these stories they have one thing in common a " graveyard." I've been to all the graveyards in Danville and I've only found clues in the Green hill cemetery. Why bury the treasure in a graveyard, if you're going to retrieve it later? The supposedly treasure site I have discovered 38x38, would be large enough to house all this gold! The newspaper article does not mention gold but bonds? Something doesn't sound right?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I am only giving you the facts ...
The "facts" concerning this tale of $10,000,000 or $11,000,000 of gold or silver bullion arriving from England a few months before the fall of Richmond originate from F L Weathers who told a newspaper in 1947 that his Confederate soldier grandfather claimed he help bury this alleged bullion in a large iron box in Virginia.
Considering the price of gold and silver in 1864, that had to be a very large iron box to hold all that bullion, and take into consideration of the weight.
As with most of these treasure stories, there is NO record of Great Britain making this shipment, or any other collaboration of Weather's story.
Money raised in Europe for the Confederacy, remained in Europe as the rest of article relates about Emil Erlanger selling Bonds in Europe for the CSA, keeping most for himself, the portion for the Confederacy remaining in Europe.
This tale should be included along with the Confederate paymaster stories of hiding, throwing overboard, burying under Union fire $250,000-$500,000 or 1/2 ton -1 ton of gold, depending on the version, which made the rounds in '50's-'60's treasure magazines-long on story, but totally short on actual facts.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... There were ten treasure map locations under the charge of Jefferson Davis, there was four treasure map locations under the charge of General Breckenridge.
Breckenridge's treasure maps were hidden in three different graves. Jefferson Davis' treasure maps were hidden in five different graves.
Then there was the master grave that contained all 58 treasure maps.
Then you add on the three treasures left in Danville, Virginia amounting to over $8.6 Million in gold specie and of course the Mexican Cache. That is how it is listed, "Large Mexican Cache." ...
What is the source of these treasure maps and lists that you claim to have knowledge?
Is this fact or legend and lore like some many CSA lost treasury stories?
It is documented to how much the Union recovered from Davis' baggage train, and Judah P Benjamin, John C Breckinridge, and John Taylor Wood after escaping through Florida has enough to buy passage to England and enough to live on while there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the facts of the treasures. No one else has them but me. So sorry about your historians, they are totally wrong again.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the facts of the treasures. No one else has them but me. So sorry about your historians, they are totally wrong again.

Once again, Franklin, saying historians are wrong is easy, proving them wrong is quite a different matter.
...and proving them wrong hasn't happened yet.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, must have some other information that we do not have. In these stories they have one thing in common a " graveyard." I've been to all the graveyards in Danville and I've only found clues in the Green hill cemetery. Why bury the treasure in a graveyard, if you're going to retrieve it later? The supposedly treasure site I have discovered 38x38, would be large enough to house all this gold! The newspaper article does not mention gold but bonds? Something doesn't sound right?
You are right about my friend, Franklin, he does have a lot more information then the rest of us.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, Franklin, saying historians are wrong is easy, proving them wrong is quite a different matter.
...and proving them wrong hasn't happened yet.

There is a time and place unto all things. I am not trying to prove historians wrong? I just know they are wrong. And when the day comes I will prove them wrong.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You must be reading the wrong articles in the newspapers?
Three days before President Jefferson Davis left Richmond, Provost Marshall and a high member of the KGC, Sam McCubbin took $8 Million in gold specie by train out of Richmond to some point South.
With $8.6 Million in gold specie being recorded as being buried in Danville, I would have to say that was his destination...
Please post the "right" articles in the newspapers.
The bonds and loans to the Confederacy were held in escrow in England and France, release of funds dependent on shipments of cotton and tobacco from the Confederate Southern States.
The CSA defaulted in these loans to England and France, and expected the United States government to cover these debts, which led to Amendment 14, section 4 to the Constitution.
The unconditional surrender of the Confederacy included all assets, which became the property of the United States, AND, if any of these assets still exist, STILL belong to the United States.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin is a expert and is correct and the historians are wrong, and will find his share of KGC buried treasures. Best of luck to those seeking KGC treasures. The bad news for Yankees like myself, they did not buried any treasures in Connecticut.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the facts of the treasures. No one else has them but me...
ON April 2, 1865, the Confederate Treasury in Richmond recoded and documented assets:
$500,000 in gold and silver specie and silver and gold bullion
$450,000 in gold and silver coin from 6 Virginia banks packed in kegs
A chest of donated jewelry
Floor sweepings from the Dahlonega mint
$600-700 million face vale notes from the Confederate treasury (Inflation had greatly devalued their worth to zero)
Various English Companies Acceptance Notes issued through the Bank of England ( worth 16-18 pounds sterling upon redemption in England)
In actual hard currency, the Confederate Treasury when Richmond fell, and what was load on the train to Danville was $950,000, the remaining was jewelry that had value, Confederate paper currency which had no value as well as unredeemable Bank of England issued Assurance Notes.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Three days before President Jefferson Davis left Richmond, Provost Marshall and a high member of the KGC, Sam McCubbin took $8 Million in gold specie by train out of Richmond to some point South.
With $8.6 Million in gold specie being recorded as being buried in Danville, I would have to say that was his destination.
Anywhere else he would have had to unload the train across Craghead Street and place it on another train to Greensboro, N.C. Once, there he would have to unload and place the gold on another train to all points South...
The history of the CONFEDERATE TREASURY after the Fall of Richmond, April 2, 1865 without the embellished speculation from legend, lore, or tall tales:
The Gold Vanishes, true story of the Confederate Treasury's flight after the fall of Richmond - Official Author Site forBRUCE WETTERAU

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin, most of what you listed was NO LONGER in the Confederate Treasury on April 2, 1865.
J Frank Carroll, Sears & Roebuck salesmen and amateur historian, embellished legend and lore which he mixed into his research in his 1996 book, and is not totally historically accurate.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin is a expert and is correct and the historians are wrong, and will find his share of KGC buried treasures. Best of luck to those seeking KGC treasures. The bad news for Yankees like myself, they did not buried any treasures in Connecticut.

They hid bank robbery money across the Canadian Border from where they robbed a bank in Vermont. Then there is also the Knights Templar's treasures buried in Vermont and New Hampshire.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, most of what you listed was NO LONGER in the Confederate Treasury on April 2, 1865.
J Frank Carroll, Sears & Roebuck salesmen and amateur historian, embellished legend and lore which he mixed into his research in his 1996 book, and is not totally historically accurate.

I am glad you posted what you did. J. Frank Carroll only mentioned the "SCRAP" treasure you mentioned. He did not mention any of the other treasures I mentioned. So in effect you have disputed your own claim.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to reread those two sentences. No disputed claim.
The Vermont bank robbery has nothing to do with the assets of the CSA treasury on April 2, 1865, just unrelated information you are fond of putting out.
You call the CSA treasury final assets as "SCRAP" but have yet to establish the existence of this "alleged" McCubbin $8 million in gold specie out of Richmond by train as being an actual event, and not KGC lore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread