CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

The problem with Sears & Roebuck sales rep J Frank Carroll's "CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE" is that he merged fact with legends and lore and then added his speculative theories into the mix, making it not the most accurate or reliable source.
As local Danville historian and friend of J Frank Carroll, Danny Rickets stated that he has seen enough historic documentation to believe there is no remaining Confederate treasure, adding: "I don't think there was much gold left in Danville...If gold was buried, I think who buried it dug it up later. You don't bury gold and forget it".
During Reconstruction, the people of the South went through hard times under Union occupation with carpet baggers and scalawags, and most likely these caches of hard species were dug up out of survival necessity.

Why just post Sears & Roebuck sales rep. J. Frank Carroll was also and accomplished piano player. He traveled all fifty states and 17 foreign countries with the Billy Graham Crusades. I listened to some of his cassette tapes but I never did ask for a copy. He was also a real good historian. He not only searched all of the CSA Records State Side but in England and France also while on the crusades. He claimed to have a complete copy of the John Fraser & George Alfred Trenholm books but I never saw them. (The USA Government searched for years trying to find those books.) A Sears & Roebuck sales rep. is not a true representation of the Life of J. Frank Carroll but he did do that mediocre job also.

The point Franklin, is that historical evidence goes through a professional process method of review by professionals in the appropriate related field of study for accuracy of facts before publication, and these books that merge facts with legends, lore, tales, and speculative theories, are NOT real definitive works of history, and should NOT be presented as such.
It is very easy to revise selected facts without the critical inspection of true professional historians and scholars which results in bad speculative history that often gets mistaken for the real thing.
Those who champion these pseudohistory books and promote them as real history always declare that real historians are wrong without providing any actual proof beyond quotes from these highly questionable quasi history books where truth is blurred by innuendo and speculative theories based solely on legend, lore, and twice told tall tales.

"History is not history unless it is the truth"- Abraham Lincoln

I believe that Franklin is doing a good job of explaining this story. All the information is excellent and very interesting. From what I am reading. I believe all of the information has the thread of truth. It's hard to believe that the city of Danville allowed digging in a graveyard. Wonder how Dibrell was able to do this? I further that Carroll and Robertson do not actually know where the treasure is located. I have thought also about it being located at GW high school, but I didn't find any clues to search there. I do believe that George Washington was at the beech tree as he was there in 1789?
Hi actual face is on the beech tree that is in the federal cemetery. We know that he was a freemason! I was looking for Confederate treasure, but have found a pyramid rock, and a brick marked Egypt! Is all of this just a coincidence or not?

I believe that Franklin is doing a good job of explaining this story. All the information is excellent and very interesting. From what I am reading. I believe all of the information has the thread of truth. It's hard to believe that the city of Danville allowed digging in a graveyard. Wonder how Dibrell was able to do this? I further that Carroll and Robertson do not actually know where the treasure is located. I have thought also about it being located at GW high school, but I didn't find any clues to search there. I do believe that George Washington was at the beech tree as he was there in 1789?
Hi actual face is on the beech tree that is in the federal cemetery. We know that he was a freemason! I was looking for Confederate treasure, but have found a pyramid rock, and a brick marked Egypt! Is all of this just a coincidence or not?

Diebrell dug under a building in the City of Danville. He owned it. The renters were the ones that found the gold bars. Diebrell gave the boys $20 to keep quite while he made away with the gold. One of the 58 treasures is very interesting as it has the Head of Christ carved into it. Don't know if one of the CSA Treasure depositories has the "Holy Grail" or not. But it must be something to do with Biblical History. Maybe the "Ark of the Covenant?"

I am wondering if the boys told their parents, who, I am sure was outrage that the boys did not some of the gold.

Diebrell dug under a building in the City of Danville. He owned it. The renters were the ones that found the gold bars. Diebrell gave the boys $20 to keep quite while he made away with the gold. One of the 58 treasures is very interesting as it has the Head of Christ carved into it. Don't know if one of the CSA Treasure depositories has the "Holy Grail" or not. But it must be something to do with Biblical History. Maybe the "Ark of the Covenant?"

Was this Louis N Diebrell and was the ot at the THE DIEBRELL BROS TOBBACI CO building at 512 Bridge Street?

Darn Franklin, the story gets more and more interesting ! I believe that's is the same Dibrell family. I had heard that story, now I actually believe it. It would be awesome if we could connect the confederate treasure with the " holy grail " as well as the "ark of the covenant ". That would be incredible to say the least, even though that would be a big stretch, which leads me to a story. I went to the dog park on westover drive ,to walk my dog Charlie (girl). As I well yelling at Charlie, someone spoke up and said, I've heard that voice. He said I saw you on TV at the city council meeting. You're the one that knows where the treasury is located. That was me, and I said how do you know,The "tree of life". And I said I figured it out through freemasonry, about George Washington, who was a mason. That's how I started by learning, and researching this supposedly treasure. Come to find out he was a descendant of Col. William Prescott of colonial America who was at the battle of Saratoga. I didn't get to talk long as he was working. But to this day, I haven't figured out what he meant by the " tree of life"? When I do I'll let everybody know. How could it be connected?

By the way, I told the city council that if any treasure is mine and I am claiming it! It's mine! Don't anyone mess with it as it is boobytraped! LOL

I am wondering if the boys told their parents, who, I am sure was outrage that the boys did not some of the gold.

Yes they lived on the 3rd floor and found graves under the building. They were told not to go under the building. One of the boys fell into one of the graves and the sides were lined with CSA Gold Bricks. The oldest was about 9 or 10 years old and he lugged one of the gold bricks up to the 3rd floor and showed their father. Their father send a message or either telephoned Diebrell and he came down to see the gold brick. I talked to the oldest boy and he passed away about a year ago. The youngest is still living but he can not remember too much. I do not know how old he was at the time. There were graves of black soldiers buried behind the building also. But Diebrell came in that evening and worked all night with heavy equipment and dump trucks. The rest is history.

I have been in the bottom floor but there is no entrance to get under the building. A contract has to be made with the landowner and a hole has to be cut in the concrete floor. The building swapped ownership and it is now difficult to find out who owns the building.

Last edited:
Was this Louis N Diebrell and was the ot at the THE DIEBRELL BROS TOBBACI CO building at 512 Bridge Street?

Right name wrong location.

Darn Franklin, the story gets more and more interesting ! I believe that's is the same Dibrell family. I had heard that story, now I actually believe it. It would be awesome if we could connect the confederate treasure with the " holy grail " as well as the "ark of the covenant ". That would be incredible to say the least, even though that would be a big stretch, which leads me to a story. I went to the dog park on westover drive ,to walk my dog Charlie (girl). As I well yelling at Charlie, someone spoke up and said, I've heard that voice. He said I saw you on TV at the city council meeting. You're the one that knows where the treasury is located. That was me, and I said how do you know,The "tree of life". And I said I figured it out through freemasonry, about George Washington, who was a mason. That's how I started by learning, and researching this supposedly treasure. Come to find out he was a descendant of Col. William Prescott of colonial America who was at the battle of Saratoga. I didn't get to talk long as he was working. But to this day, I haven't figured out what he meant by the " tree of life"? When I do I'll let everybody know. How could it be connected?

I was at the first televised City Council Meeting in Danville in 1999. They did not keep the film but I have a copy of the sound track.

Check with the town or city tax collector office and they will tell the owners names and addresses. If no taxes paid for years, maybe you can pay back taxes and do some digging.

Check with the town or city tax collector office and they will tell the owners names and addresses. If no taxes paid for years, maybe you can pay back taxes and do some digging.

No I talked with the former owner a few years ago. He let me use my locator inside the building but before I could a contract to look under the building, he had sold to a developer. But the city tax collector and real estate office only has a mailing address. No one ever answers any of my letters. They were to develop the building but for the past four or five years they have done nothing. One day it may open up where something can be done.

Under one of the apartment complexes on Main Street, you can find the fortifications made by Admiral Semmes and his men for the defense of Danville. The apartment building underneath has the plumbing and wiring running through the breastworks. I have also heard rumor of a large underground hospital down near Lynn and Craghead near Main. They say the hospital is still intact with Doctor and nurses outfits and operating tables and all. I would love to find the entrance to that.

I know that the city did alot of construction downtown in the 20's, when the White Mill was constructed by masons from Boston maybe. I know that it was a company from the north. There is a underground passage way that's starts from the Sutherlin mansion running towards the hospital on main street.

Diebrell dug under a building in the City of Danville. He owned it.
The renters were the ones that found the gold bars. Diebrell gave the boys $20 to keep quite while he made away with the gold. One of the 58 treasures is very interesting as it has the Head of Christ carved into it. Don't know if one of the CSA Treasure depositories has the "Holy Grail" or not. But it must be something to do with Biblical History. Maybe the "Ark of the Covenant?"
The Diebrell's were an "old money" Virginia family through the tobacco business and owned several properties in and around Danville.
Franklin, do you have any newspaper articles that mention this discovery of CSA gold bars?
Did this story ever appear in a "70's treasure magazine?

Last edited:
Why would this be in the newspapers when Diebrell made off with all the gold bars? I have eye witness accounts from the two boys one of which has passed. They did not even know what the gold bars were until they saw a movie on the History Channel.

Why would this be in the newspapers when Diebrell made off with all the gold bars? I have eye witness accounts from the two boys one of which has passed. They did not even know what the gold bars were until they saw a movie on the History Channel.
So the only version of this treasure story originated from the two boys many many years later after after watching a movie on the History Channel?
Once again, a single source with NO way of verification if the gold bars ever existed outside of what may be a false memory.

I've heard this, it may or may not be true, Dibrell has done well to say the least. Tobacco is a big money crop. The Southside has the best tobacco In the world. The tunnel at Sutherlin mansion, I had a friend of mine has been in there. I believe they were doing some kind of work like plumbing or electrical. While he was there he didn't locate any treasure. I believe they had a newspaper article about it? I was going to metal detect at the White Mill building, but I found a clue that said no treasure was here. You have to remember this building is in the flood zone as well as the YMCA! LOL

Last edited:
I have just heard the story, I don't have any references or if it was published. All I can say Dibrell has a good business. Franklin has two witnesses to this event,what more can you ask for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back