Confederate Payroll at Dollar Hill

Aug 18, 2018
West Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am working in Pecos Texas right now, but should be back home in Tennessee in a few weeks. I live maybe 15 to 20 munutes from Dollar Hill. I have some springs mapped out, so I will talk to the land/home owners and see if I can get permission to check around the springs. I have a little cheap metal detector that I bought off craigslist for $75. I have never 'really' used it, so this should be tons of excitement!
When ever I talk to the land/ homeowner, should I bring a contract for us both and agree to split any findings 50 50? I appreciate the help and encouragement from everyone.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
On Dec 30,1862 during the WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION,Union Col C L Dunham of the 39th IOWA REGIMENT was ordered to seek out and destroy the CSA 7th TENNESSEE CALVARY BRIGADE of Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Forrest was known to never give or expect quarter (Re: FORT PILLOW MASSACRE),so before the engagement,Dunham had two Lts and a Sgt bury the payroll strongbox of $15,000 of gold US coins at a spring at Dollar Hill,where the Union had pitched camp.
The next morning,Dec 31,1862,Dunham's regiment met Forrest's at Parker Crossroads,and heavy casualities were inflicted on the Union.As Dunham ordered retreat,a rain storm flooded the area.
Dunham and his remaining men returned to Dollar Hill to retrieve the strongbox,only to find the area was "a sea of mud and standing water",and quickly departed to avoid CSA patrols .
This is one of the few lost gold stories of the Civil War to be real.
Allen Chambliss,a teenager from Huntington,Tn,who Dunham hired as a scout,witnessed the burying of the stongbox and the battle,and lived to tell this tale.
It was also confirmed in Col Dunhams report of this encounter with CSA Gen Forrest.

It was a Union payroll that was lost in Confederate territory. :thumbsup:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to buy a more expenses detector and learn how to use it before searching for this treasure. Good hunting and good luck.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The “Lost Union Army Payroll at Parker’s Cross-Roads” — Fact or Fiction?

There was a recent TN post about the lost Union Army payroll at Parker’s Cross-Roads (Dollar Hill). Of course, it’s one of a great many legends about missing Civil War money.

The purpose of this post is to breakdown the legend — and to provide a research blueprint for serious treasure hunters who would like to become treasure finders.

First, the origin story:

THE BATTLE AT PARKERS CROSSROADS AND THE LOST UNION PAYROLL

On Dec 30,1862, during the WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, Union Col C. L. Dunham of the 39th IOWA REGIMENT was ordered to seek out and destroy the CSA 7th TENNESSEE CALVARY BRIGADE of Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest), so before the engagement, Dunham had two Lts. and a Sgt. bury the payroll strongbox of $15,000 of gold US coins at a spring at Dollar Hill, where the Union had pitched camp.

The next morning, Dec 31,1862, Dunham's regiment met Forrest's at Parker Crossroads, and heavy causalities were inflicted on the Union. As Dunham ordered retreat, a rain storm flooded the area.

Dunham and his remaining men returned to Dollar Hill to retrieve the strongbox, only to find the area was "a sea of mud and standing water," and quickly departed to avoid CSA patrols.

This Forrest was known to never give or expect quarter (Re: FORT PILLOW MASSACRE is one of the few lost gold stories of the Civil War to be real.

Allen Chambliss, a teenager from Huntington, TN, who Dunham hired as a scout, witnessed the burying of the stongbox and the battle, and lived to tell this tale. It was also confirmed in Col Dunham’s report of this encounter with CSA Gen Forrest.

The source for this appears to be an article in Lost Treasure Magazine (June? July? 2012). Remarkably little of it is factually correct.

Yes, there was a fight at Parker’s Cross-Roads. That correct spelling is very important — first because the error shows a complete lack of basic research on the part of the writer. Second, if one is going to look into this tale in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion (a better name for the Civil War than that author used) one must have the accurate details.

Col. Cyrus L. Dunham was not in command of the 39[SUP]th[/SUP] Iowa. He led the Fiftieth Indiana. Gen. Forrest’s troops were routed with a large number of his men taken prisoner — including his adjutant-general, Major Strange, and his aide, Col. McKee, some 300 horses, and several cannon. They say Wellington never lost a gun. Apparently the same cannot be truthfully written about Gen. Nathaniel Bedford Forrest.
The rain started before the battle. The Union forces did not retreat. And “Col. Dunham’s report of this encounter with CSA Gen Forrest” makes no mention of a lost military payroll.

Other than those points, the brief piece has some correct information. There was a battle at Parker’s Cross-Roads between the Union and Confederate forces.

Parker's Cross-Roads.jpg

A few general points on the topic of lost US Military payrolls. Army paymasters — Union and Confederate — took their professional responsibilities very seriously. Anyone who has seriously researched the Lost Confederate Treasury myths comes to understand that.

Rest assured the respective armies also took missing money very seriously. The loss of $15,000 in the 1860’s would have been thoroughly investigated and that inquiry well documented. I suggest anyone doubting that statement should look into the well-known Wham Payroll Robbery in Arizona after the War. Or the sinking of the Brother Jonathan on the rocks off Crescent City, when Major Eddy went down with the vessel and almost $200,000.

Let us take a step back, and briefly review the general topic:

Soldier's Pay In The American Civil War

Union privates were paid $13 per month until after the final raise of 20 June '64, when they got $16. In the infantry and artillery, officer was as follows at the start of the war: colonels, $212; lieutenant colonels, $181; majors, $169; captains, $115.50; first lieutenants, $105.50; and second lieutenants, $105.50. Other line and staff officers drew an average of about $15 per month more. Pay for one, two, and three star generals was $315, $457, and $758, respectively.

The Confederate pay structure was modeled after that of the US Army. Privates continued to be paid at the prewar rate of $11 per month until June '64, when the pay of all enlisted men was raised $7 per month. Confederate officer's pay was a few dollars lower than that of the their Union counterparts. A Southern B.G for example, drew $301 instead of $315 per month; Confederate colonels of the infantry received $195, and those of artillery, engineers, and cavalry go $210. While the inflation of Confederate Money reduced the actual value of a Southerner's military pay, this was somewhat counterbalanced by the fact that promotion policies in the South were more liberal.

As for the pay of noncommissioned officers, when Southern privates were making $11 per month, corporals were making $13, "buck" sergeants $17, first sergeants $20, and engineer sergeants were drawing $34. About the same ratio existed in the Northern army between the pay of privates and noncommissioned officers.

Soldiers were supposed to be paid every two months in the field, but they were fortunate if they got their pay at four-month intervals (in the Union Army) and authentic instances are recorded where they went six and eight months. Payment in the Confederate Army was even slower and less regular.
Source: "The Civil War Dictionary" by Mark M. Boatner
Soldiers Pay in The American Civil War

How were Union soldiers paid? In gold and silver coin (“specie”)? Generally, not. Just ask yourself — what would an army private in 1892 do with a double-eagle?

September 9,1861- "...the Treasury Department-to meet future payments to the troops-is about to supply, besides coin, as heretofore, Treasury notes, in fives, tens, and twenties, as good as gold at all banks and government offices throughout the United States, and most convenient for transmission by mail from officers and men to their families at home." February 27, 1862 the Legal Tender Act was signed into law by President Lincoln, authorizing the Treasury Department to issue "greenbacks." Legal tender notes were backed by the full faith of the US Government but had no gold or silver backing. 1863-64 some soldiers subscribed to the 7/30 Government bonds in lieu of cash payment. By September 1, 1864, pay due every sixty days to military forces was $50,000,000.
The Civil War and Greenbacks

Now, for details regarding the Parker’s Cross-Roads battle.

As noted above, Col. C.L. Dunham was not serving with the 39[SUP]th[/SUP] Iowa. His official report of the battle will be noted below. Anyone can check the roster of that regiment:

39th Iowa Infantry, A-G

Col. Dunham’s name does not appear on the muster rolls. How long would it have taken a serious writer to learn this? And if the author can’t get this simple fact correct, why should the reader believe anything else in that magazine piece?

The logical place to begin to research this story is in hundred-plus volumes of The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (Washington, DC: 1886). I’ll save other TN members some time by pointing them to the useful volume — it’s Series I — Volume XVII — Part I — REPORTS. The most important Report is Numbers [sic] 14 — Colonel Cyrus L. Dunham, Fiftieth Indian Infantry, of skirmish at Huntington, December 30, and engagement at Parker’s Cross-Roads (pgs. 579-585). There is no mention of a lost military payroll in this battle report.

Other Numbers of interest, if one wants to learn more about the fight, are Number 10 (pgs. 568-572), Number 11 (pgs. 572-575), Number 12 (pgs. 575-577); Number 13 (pgs. 577-579), Number 15 (pgs. 585-588) and Number 16 (pgs. 588-590). In none of them will you find information on the alleged lost payroll.

The conclusion is simple. The story remains just that — a story. Until and unless the documented evidence that should be available is presented, this legend probably won’t repay spending time in the hunt.

Finally, what about the battle field today?

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/battle-parkers-cross-roads-then-now

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
You both are quite welcome! I hope others can add to the post - the best TN posts continue on. The Lost Tayopa thread is the gold standard here.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Billygyro

Mar 1, 2022
Then payroll is there, I know were to put the X marks the spot...how do I Know this? Because I did in fact find it. Not exactly where its written to be but within few hundred feet.. I was afraid to bring it up so I coverd it back up for now...it is there.... Biggest problem I found is its not were you would think, it's not on our to close to Dollar Hill but not far away eighter.. I do plan to dig and take photos but I refuse to post them or ever shows anyone where I found this lost payroll for 159 years...when I do bring it up from its long nap and first sun shining upon the content, i will post one picture hers for you to see.. This will be the only post until you see the picture..and then I will not be back nor will anyone find me for question,,, they never wanted it found in this town, I was told its was private property owned by the same family sense 1905. Not true....
Its not posted anywere ,no posters of any kind near it,its not property owned by a family,, in fact it says (Town Of) and its the only property in that area that's not owned by individual family,,, like I said, they never wanted it found.. I would love to turn in its location and be recognized as the finder for some of its worth and bragging rights but that's wont happen and I cant just leave it there...

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then payroll is there, I know were to put the X marks the spot...how do I Know this? Because I did in fact find it. Not exactly where its written to be but within few hundred feet.. I was afraid to bring it up so I coverd it back up for now...it is there.... Biggest problem I found is its not were you would think, it's not on our to close to Dollar Hill but not far away eighter.. I do plan to dig and take photos but I refuse to post them or ever shows anyone where I found this lost payroll for 159 years...when I do bring it up from its long nap and first sun shining upon the content, i will post one picture hers for you to see.. This will be the only post until you see the picture..and then I will not be back nor will anyone find me for question,,, they never wanted it found in this town, I was told its was private property owned by the same family sense 1905. Not true....
Its not posted anywere ,no posters of any kind near it,its not property owned by a family,, in fact it says (Town Of) and its the only property in that area that's not owned by individual family,,, like I said, they never wanted it found.. I would love to turn in its location and be recognized as the finder for some of its worth and bragging rights but that's wont happen and I cant just leave it there...
Most hunters here agree. KEEP your Mouth shut,Never a need to brag about your find or suffer the consequences of dealing with a government that only wants whats YOURS.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get er done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread