Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Confederate Va. Button With James Bibb!! "New Update Scarce Back Mark!"

William Leigh Writes: http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/

The Back Mark reads, ".Canfield Bro & Co./Baltimor(sic)" and is a scarcer variety. You will find it cataloged by Albert as VA12. I think of it as being among the prettier die designs of the Virginia's... :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang:

The Confederate button God's are shining down on me again this year. :hello2: I just got back from digging with James Bibb of Tnet and his little son.. Last week, James Scored on the sweet Ga. button and the week before the 3 script I's.....I guess it was my turn tonight. :D It was a really great afternoon hunt, and the site was amazing. A late 1700's White home with the classic Colonial black shutters, that sits high atop a mountain. The home has certainly seen it's share of history, and even near fate of being burnt to the ground. . Union troops led by Sheridan came very close to burning it down during the American Civil War. After looting the land owners, the home was to be torched, but was spared of ruin. Ballroom events were held in a wing of the west side of the home, which was recently relocated to an adjacent museum property for preservation. James and I dug several targets at the site , including early Tombac buttons, Flat buttons, an 1840 seated liberty dime, early IH penny and this beautiful Civil War Confederate soldier Button! :headbang: Good times! Thanks again to my Buddy James for the invite. :notworthy:

The button was dug with a Minelab Etrac .

Attachments

• 2011-05-02 004.JPG
    2011-05-02 004.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 692
  • 2011-05-02 002.JPG
    2011-05-02 002.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 687
  • 2011-05-02 006.JPG
    2011-05-02 006.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 688
  • 2011-05-02 008.JPG
    2011-05-02 008.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 673
  • 2011-05-02 003.JPG
    2011-05-02 003.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 682
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Confederate Button hunting With James Bibb

That is a great button Mike nice find :icon_thumleft: Jim

cornspike

Jan 23, 2008
Old West
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-70, 5in dd coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beauty!!! One day I will find a CS button!!!! Great Job!!!!

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great finds Mike , great place to hunt,

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

awesome buttons!!!

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Confederate Button hunting With James Bibb "New Update Scarce Back Mark!"

It would read, ".Canfield Bro & Co./Baltimor(sic)" and is a scarcer variety. You will find it catalogued by Albert as VA12. I think of it as being among the prettier die designs of the Virginia's :notworthy: :notworthy: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

U

umrgolf

Re: Confederate Button hunting With James Bibb "New Update Scarce Back Mark!"

Woodland Detectors said:
It would read, ".Canfield Bro & Co./Baltimor(sic)" and is a scarcer variety. You will find it catalogued by Albert as VA12. I think of it as being among the prettier die designs of the Virginia's :notworthy: :notworthy: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

as I wrote in the pm, I'm glad that you could get a real pro to properly ID the backmark for you.. Earlier in the thread when I wrote what I did, you'll see that I was only basing my theory on what I'd seen come out of the ground, and secondly based on the price of the buttons with Canfield backmarks..

your question was "not a real common backmark is it?"

-3 of the 4 VA buttons I've seen dug had the Canfield backmark, including 1 of the 2 I've dug
-I also assumed that a "scarcer variety" would command more than $150-$200 for a confederate button, which seems to be the bottom end of the price range for the VA buttons.. Im wondering what the "common varieties" sell for?

listing B5851, 3/4 of the way down the page, same exact button as yours, same exact backmark for $125, no mention of scarcity
http://relicman.com/buttons/AAButtonAAPage3.htm

here's another guy selling some relics he'd dug last year, 2 of 4 VA buttons listed being Canfield bm's
http://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/read.php?7,446114,446114

Like I said before, none of what I've mentioned was meant to take anything away from a great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread