Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presently have a Minelab Sov GT which I now have for sale with an 8 inch, 9,5 and 12.5" coils on Ebay. After the sale, I will make my new purchase. I am going to try the Nautilus route, the DMC II Ba. I see that I can buy one on Kellyco with several different size coils, which I know will present different challenges in signal ID, etc. I mainly hunt fields here around Goldsboro, NC and old homesites. My initial reaction was to get the Nautilus with the 15" coil for depth mainly. I think I should seek some advice from experienced Nautilus users before I make my final decision. I would appreciate any advice on which size coil may be best to start out with. 6", 8", 10", ot 15"? That is the question. Thanks alot. I really enjoy old coins, CW buttons and jewlery. Thanks again.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I hunted for years with the IIb and had the 6, 10, and 15 inch coils. If I were going to start with just one coil, it would be the 10 for your application. The 15 is great, but if you're going to hunt other places than just open fields, it's a little heavy and harder to manipulate. The 10 is a great all arounder. You can always add a 15 down the road, but it wouldn't be the only coil in my arsenal. But it would be my second choice.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go for the 10" but being in Europe would get a 6" or 8" as the follow up. I have two DMC's and its handy to have the larger on one and a small coil on the other.

I would not get the Ba though unless your going to modify the machine at some point. The IIBa is a very versatile detector but you can't get the best out of it with its sensitivity being locked at 9 (discrimination) and 3 (all metal). The DMC 2B allows full range adjustment in both modes.

Re the 15" coil. Its heavy and any problems you may have with heavy mineralisation are magnified. On bad ground smaller is often deeper.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
I would go for the 10" but being in Europe would get a 6" or 8" as the follow up. I have two DMC's and its handy to have the larger on one and a small coil on the other.

I would not get the Ba though unless your going to modify the machine at some point. The IIBa is a very versatile detector but you can't get the best out of it with its sensitivity being locked at 9 (discrimination) and 3 (all metal). The DMC 2B allows full range adjustment in both modes.

Re the 15" coil. Its heavy and any problems you may have with heavy mineralisation are magnified. On bad ground smaller is often deeper.

Thanks for the advice Brian, I appreciate it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread