Continental Currency 1776

tfalnp

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here on Treasure Net. After the passing of my grandfather I received his rather large coin collection. Out of interest I am checking to see the authenticity of most of his coins, and the Continental "Curency" coin caught my attention. I know little to nothing about this coin other than what I've quickly internet searched. If any of you have any info, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-2601797192.jpg

From the "red book"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tfalnp

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it appears to be valuable, do you know anything about its authenticity? I've read that this is coin is commonly reproduced. Thanks!

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately yours is one of the many souvenir replicas. Look at the grainy mushy lettering and devices, as opposed to the crisp lettering and devices on the original pictured. This is a sure sign of a cast replica.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin in the attachments look silver to me, so hopefully they are real...good luck :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0

spudnutt

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these 9.99999999999999999 times out of 10 are replicas. The design was done by Franklin if I believe correctly. A very rare coin if original.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Looking around I noted that there were re-strikes that still have appreciable value, which may be worth looking into.

Upvote 0

Born2Late

Dec 28, 2013
Southern US
Detector(s) used
Only budget models; Beginner, with no real experience with brand names
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I moved from collecting U.S. Federal coins to collecting "colonial"/early American coins, in 1987, one of my first objectives was to obtain a genuine continental currency coin. I read everything I could about them and bought every replica that I could, just so that I would know the real thing when I saw it. I accumulated a whole drawer full of replicas and still pick one up every now and then - just because they are cool. I learned that replicas are almost always thicker and smaller in diameter than the real thing, that the edge device is very distinctive (twin olive leaf), that the weight and specific gravity of real ones fall within a certain range, etc.

In 1988, I bought a "genuine" example from a national dealer whose focus was not colonials, but knew immediately when I saw it in hand that it was a replica. I sent it back. I finally bought a fairly nice real one in 1989 (Newman 3-D, "E G FECIT") from Stack's. A couple of years later, I bought a second, low grade 3-D example in a small auction, for $7. It turned out to be genuine. My points are 1.) Dealers don't always get it right, 2.) I think the best way to learn to tell the difference is to compare a few replicas to real ones in hand. Once you've seen them side-by-side, 99.99% of the replicas are easy to spot.

Having said this, in my opinion, this example is a replica, as several have indicated. It is a match for several replicas that I own.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread