Mangled still giving this morning!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Well, we hit it again this morning at 9 AM. While walking through the field toward the house site, my Deus II rang out 30 yards before we got there. It was a solid 80 both ways, so I though it was going to be some junk or a button maybe. The lowest IHP I ever got hit 82. Most IHPs hit 85 and I had one or two hit 86. No way its going to get down to 80, I thought. What a surprise. From a depth of about 3", out popped the nicest 1875 Indian I have ever dug. This is my 4th ever 1875 and a definite upgrade for my folder. It's got a full, sharp LIBERTY and is gorgeous in spite of the old ding on the rim, probably from a plow.

That makes this site the most productive on 1870 IHPs I've hit since the Decatur dig. I got 1872, 1875 and 1879 out of there this week. I'm honing in on that 1877!

1875.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 16
That is a very nice looking coin! It seems like the IHP's have been flying out of the ground for you of late. Regarding your comment on the VDI's for indians on the Deus. Mine typically come in around 85, but the older " fatty" IHP's are lower....usually anywhere between 78-81. I hope your good fortune continues, and maybe even pop out a seated dime or two. Good luck and keep us posted.

Great looking Indian Head.
Wonder if there was something in the hole that might have dragged the number down a bit.
That or it could of been on a slant.

Nice going buddy :)

Great looking Indian Head.
Wonder if there was something in the hole that might have dragged the number down a bit.
That or it could of been on a slant.
No, there was nothing in the hole dragging it down. I have had that happen, so I know what you are talking about, but in this case we laid it on the ground after I got it out and my brother checked it with his machine. It is a perfect, solid 80, first one I've ever seen.

No, there was nothing in the hole dragging it down. I have had that happen, so I know what you are talking about, but in this case we laid it on the ground after I got it out and my brother checked it with his machine. It is a perfect, solid 80, first one I've ever seen.
That is strange for sure.
First thought one would have is the composition of the coin, but they're all have the same metal content post 1864.
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 8.23.23 AM.png

That is strange for sure.
First thought one would have is the composition of the coin, but they're all have the same metal content post 1864.
View attachment 2150526
Yes, so you think they would all hit the same. I have noticed that the few I dig that DO NOT have a green patina hit higher. I suspect the difference is in the chemical composition of the patina. That is what makes them vary from 86 all the way down now to 80.

Well, we hit it again this morning at 9 AM. While walking through the field toward the house site, my Deus II rang out 30 yards before we got there. It was a solid 80 both ways, so I though it was going to be some junk or a button maybe. The lowest IHP I ever got hit 82. Most IHPs hit 85 and I had one or two hit 86. No way its going to get down to 80, I thought. What a surprise. From a depth of about 3", out popped the nicest 1875 Indian I have ever dug. This is my 4th ever 1875 and a definite upgrade for my folder. It's got a full, sharp LIBERTY and is gorgeous in spite of the old ding on the rim, probably from a plow.

That makes this site the most productive on 1870 IHPs I've hit since the Decatur dig. I got 1872, 1875 and 1879 out of there this week. I'm honing in on that 1877!

View attachment 2150427
Nice color and detail on the Indian head. I just had an 1870 read out on the Deus 11 at a constant 75. I wasn't going to dig it because of the amount of shot gun shells in the area.

Nice color and detail on the Indian head. I just had an 1870 read out on the Deus 11 at a constant 75. I wasn't going to dig it because of the amount of shot gun shells in the area.
That's a real low number and my thoughts it might be site dependent (meaning soil) sandy/loamy mix will produce a different VDI than a heavy clay would.
I've had headstamps come in from the low 50's - the mid 70's so it's a real crap shoot.
IMG_20160415_122431282.jpg

Yeah, shotgun shells hit all over in the 70s. I get a lot of them going for fatty Indians at 72. All four of the fattys I got this year hit dead nuts on 72.

View attachment 2150427
she's a beauty, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back