Converting 600/800 numbers to 700/900

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None that I'm aware of....not that I've looked! After you swing it for a few dozen hours, you get used to the new numbers. Swing over some modern clad coins to get a start. Silver will read a couple of numbers higher for each denomination. Jewelry can read anywhere, so, that won't help you any.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I wish Minelab would provide this. The thing about numbers is that they can change based on a ton of variables. I personally just dig anything that beeps.

When I first got my 700 I did a few air tests in Beach 1 to get some baselines and here is what I found (ideally I think you are supposed to get a more stable number in field/park):

Nickel - 26/27
14k ring (thin) - 27-29
Pull tab - 29-31
10k ring (thick and fat) - 58-60
Dime - 73-76
Silver Ring (thin) - 74-76
Wheat Penny - 74-77
Penny - 76-78
Quarter - 85-87

Last edited:
OP
OP
John (west central FL)
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I wish Minelab would provide this. The thing about numbers is that they can change based on a ton of variables. I personally just dig anything that beeps.

When I first got my 700 I did a few air tests in Beach 1 to get some baselines and here is what I found (ideally I think you are supposed to get a more stable number in field/park):

Nickel - 26/27
14k ring (thin) - 27-29
Pull tab - 29-31
10k ring (thick and fat) - 58-60
Dime - 73-76
Silver Ring (thin) - 74-76
Wheat Penny - 74-77
Penny - 76-78
Quarter - 85-87
I've been doing my own test on different common targets and came up with a list of numbers close to yours. I'm sure I'll get to know the new numbers pretty soon.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All makes and models are the same yet different. Meaning they all detect metal of course, but audio and numbers will differ. I found the difference between the 800 & 900 to be pretty much the same, but then numbers on my Legend are not so different from the EQ's. As 'AdamBomb' said there are many variables involved. For me, in whatever machine I use, and in whatever mode I'm detecting in, I sometimes throw down a nickel to set my own base line I guess.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I am finding pull tabs, pieces of cans, bottle caps, etc. TDI 8-60...on the beach. Most pulltabs/bottle caps are coming up in the high 20s-40s but I've had other pop up way outside that. One of the reasons I dig it all...

OP
OP
John (west central FL)
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am finding pull tabs, pieces of cans, bottle caps, etc. TDI 8-60...on the beach. Most pulltabs/bottle caps are coming up in the high 20s-40s but I've had other pop up way outside that. One of the reasons I dig it all...
Yes, best to dig it all when beach hunting. A friend found a $400 (scrap value) gold rope chain with his Nox 600 that registered a target ID of 1. He had to dig a lot of foil that also came in at 1 and 2 but it paid off for him. I found a diamond engagement ring with my 800 with a target ID of 1 because the weld had broken and it was no longer a complete circle.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my 900, which I only got in April, I use 5 tones and dig any strong repeatable signals. The TDI IMHO depends a lot on the soil composition and orientation of the target. I'd rely more on the sound than the TDI till you get more accustomed to the new scale of numbers.

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Equinox 900 in April and have used it as much as possible. I mostly detect areas that have Civil War and Native American artifacts. Most of my detecting is done in fields, so I normally use Field 2. I have found that it does a better job of detecting a bit deeper and finds small silver and brass tinklers and other silver and brass artifacts better than any other detect modes. I noticed this with my EQ 600 as well. The target ID numbers will be a bit different in Field 2 than say Park 1 or Field 1. Minie' balls and musket balls will also ID a bit different in Field 2 than other detect modes. With my EQ 600, which I have had for over 4 years, I could tell with almost certainty what I was about to dig according to the sound and the ID number. The 900 with the expanded ID range has been a learning experience. I have been carrying a small notebook with me and keeping a record of what the ID numbers are on what I have been finding. I would suggest doing the same thing to learn the 900 or any new detector, for that matter. It has helped me tremendously with learning the new expanded ID range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions