Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the RV all cleaned up and put away from my trip last week and had about an hour of good sunshine left, so I went to search a spot about a mile from my house where there's a very short piece of the old highway still intact. I saw it on googly satelite a couple of months ago and just filed it in my brain for just such an occasion.
Almost right away I found a 1941 penny. I got several good signals but the ground is mostly frozen and no way to dig. Finally I got a good signal in a spot that was more thawed, and out pops this cigar token from Stockton California. Ironically, I moved to Reno from Stockton back in 1993. I grew up there and upon seeing the name and address, I knew the location. Captain Weber was the founder of Stockton, and built his store on that location. There is nothing there now, it's just a public space with a walkway. There are very detailed sites with pics and business listings from about 1898, and this business doesn't show up on any of them, so I'm thinking it could predate that year.

I'll keep researching, but in the meantime I'm super jazzed about this find as I'm kind of a token nut anyway, and this one's in fantastic condition! I can't wait til it thaws out a bit to see what those other targets are.

Attachments

• 0206221556.jpeg
    0206221556.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 0206221557.jpeg
    0206221557.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • 0206221605.jpeg
    0206221605.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Upvote 22

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got the RV all cleaned up and put away from my trip last week and had about an hour of good sunshine left, so I went to search a spot about a mile from my house where there's a very short piece of the old highway still intact. I saw it on googly satelite a couple of months ago and just filed it in my brain for just such an occasion.
Almost right away I found a 1941 penny. I got several good signals but the ground is mostly frozen and no way to dig. Finally I got a good signal in a spot that was more thawed, and out pops this cigar token from Stockton California. Ironically, I moved to Reno from Stockton back in 1993. I grew up there and upon seeing the name and address, I knew the location. Captain Weber was the founder of Stockton, and built his store on that location. There is nothing there now, it's just a public space with a walkway. There are very detailed sites with pics and business listings from about 1898, and this business doesn't show up on any of them, so I'm thinking it could predate that year.

I'll keep researching, but in the meantime I'm super jazzed about this find as I'm kind of a token nut anyway, and this one's in fantastic condition! I can't wait til it thaws out a bit to see what those other targets are.
That’s one cool token and in great shape! Congratulations!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That token is in great condition which, together with its styling, suggests to me that it’s not as old as the 1800s. It may be that you’re not finding the store because you’re looking in the wrong time period.

The Stockton City Directory for 1931 has two listings for “Weber Cigar Store”. One at 1965 McKinley Street (not sure what the 'h' means) and another at 7 South Center Street. I believe the 'r' designates "rear of' that address. Cigar “stores” were often not much more than a “street stand” attached to or outside other premises and also moved address quite a lot.

McKinley.jpg

Center.jpg

Both stores were in the name of “George Luchessi”, with the store at McKinley apparently operated by “Cora”, with George listed as manager. It was usual in those days for married women in business to use their husband’s name, so Cora was likely “Mrs George Luchessi”.

Don’t know if that helps or not. There could well have been other business using the same name at different times.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That token is in great condition which, together with its styling, suggests to me that it’s not as old as the 1800s. It may be that you’re not finding the store because you’re looking in the wrong time period.

The Stockton City Directory for 1931 has two listings for “Weber Cigar Store”. One at 1965 McKinley Street (not sure what the 'h' means) and another at 7 South Center Street. I believe the 'r' designates "rear of' that address. Cigar “stores” were often not much more than a “street stand” attached to or outside other premises and also moved address quite a lot.

View attachment 2008753

View attachment 2008754

Both stores were in the name of “George Luchessi”, with the store at McKinley apparently operated by “Cora”, with George listed as manager. It was usual in those days for married women in business to use their husband’s name, so Cora was likely “Mrs George Luchessi”.

Don’t know if that helps or not. There could well have been other business using the same name at different times.
Thanks for the info Red, that should help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions