What's new

Cool old metal matchbox holder - very ornate

Kevlardini

Sr. Member
Joined
May 18, 2015
Messages
336
Reaction score
370
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
101_0864.webp101_0869.webp101_0870.webp101_0871.webp

Didn't have much luck with this in "what is it". This is my favorite one that I found. I was able to polish it up nicely. Looks like silver, but I can't find a mark, so it's probably just really shiny metal. The side with the bird on it, does anyone know for sure whether that's ivory or just mother of pearl? If possible, could anyone date it?
 
Upvote 20
Get some pics that are lit up and focused a bit clearer - This is a very nice find - looks Japanese to me circa 1930's ?
(did you find this metal detecting ?)
 
Last edited:
Get some pics that are lit up and focused a bit clearer - This is a very nice find - looks Japanese to me circa 1930's ?
(did you find this metal detecting ?)

Here are some more pics. Did the best I could with the camera I have. Hope they work.
101_0874.webp101_0875.webp101_0878.webp101_0879.webp101_0882.webp101_0885.webp
The lot contained 3 matchbox holders and these were the other two. The jade on the red one hints towards an oriental box. Maybe these could help date?
101_0884.webp
 
Nice pieces. Definitely looks like mother of pearl to me.
 
Looks great, not sure on age, but my guess is early 1900s!
 
I say mother of pearl. The bird is the red crowned crane. It's very prevalent in Japanese mythology. Certainly Asian. Very nice.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom