Enjoyed them, thanks :icon_thumright:

That must have took some rebuilding!

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Wow, that is astonishing. Great to see those beautiful old buildings rebuilt to original appearance.

Having been born and raised in a part of the world that never saw war, I was amazed when I first went to England in 1980. At 20 years old I found it incredible to talk to people who went through the bombings.

Of course in 1980, 1940 was only 40 years earlier, but at 20 that seemed positively ancient. One woman I talked to worked behind the counter at Coventry Cathedral and was a little girl when Coventry was practically destroyed by bombs.

The Cathedral is just a shell today, but the spire still stands. It's one thing to grow up seeing these sights in war movies and documentaries and quite another to stand there where it happened.

Thanks for the link.

OP
OP
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
This is one place i would love to go and visit. if i ever do i am going to bring some old photos so i can get the full effect. I am sure 1000s of people have ran a MD throw there but i still would like to hit up some to the fields and such around that place

Plan B

May 8, 2009
Iowa
Thanks for posting. Amazing photos. My father (now deceased) served over there. Growing up I would sometimes ask him about the war but he did'nt like to talk about it.

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Mentalfloss said:
I am sure 1000s of people have ran a MD throw there but i still would like to hit up some to the fields and such around that place

no need to really...the beaches and surrounding communities/villages are still littered with war 'debris'
...it's just part of the landscape there really...h*ll, if you're (not so) lucky you can still fish around in the hedgerows and blow your limbs off on accident

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Pictures... i got the chills just looking at them.. Thanks for sharing..

USTiger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread