What's new

Cool point!

BobGuy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
331
Reaction score
830
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the day off and sent the kids to daycare so I had most of the day to do whatever I wanted!

I haven't had a lot of luck in this creek and there were a lot of leaves and silt on the bars so I wasn't expecting to find much. I did find this one though!

It looks like it could either be a Kampsville or Mehleville. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483146393.740187.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483146410.207287.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483146427.311345.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483146440.594145.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow that is super cool. dig how in the 2nd pic that left edge is worked to be thin for maximum slice action.

Nice find !
 
Wow that is super cool. dig how in the 2nd pic that left edge is worked to be thin for maximum slice action.

Nice find !

Yea, interesting! Didn't even notice that. Could that mean that it was used as a knife?
 
nice point,seems thick,and really water worn,
 
nice point,seems thick,and really water worn,

It's actually not too bad. I've definitely thicker and more worn points.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483201499.682944.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483201513.213837.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483201525.264914.webp
 
Nice find!
The contracting stem on your point is different than the others shown. Not sure how to type it.
 
It looks like a Kampsville to me and more than likely it was reworked on that edge due to the stacks that show on that edge. Cool find:thumbsup:
 
Nice find!
The contracting stem on your point is different than the others shown. Not sure how to type it.

I agree with you on the fact that mine has a contracting stem and the others dont but that is one of the reasons I find it so hard to type points because there is so much variation in each type. I recently had all three of these points typed by an archaeologist and he said that all three were karnaks. Now, I would never have guessed that all three of these were the same type! One has a convex base, One almost has an expanding stem and they just look very different to me. He typed them that way based on the way they were resharpened. I guess shape of the point is just one of many things that needs to be considered but I haven't been able to figure out how to look at the other things... flaking pattern, material, resharpening etc..

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483220155.512262.webp
 
Very good find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom