Ray S S
Silver Member
- Joined
- Nov 18, 2007
- Messages
- 3,010
- Reaction score
- 59
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Port Huron, Mi.
- Detector(s) used
- Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
- #1
Thread Owner
Greetings, here is an email I just got. It did not say who wrote it to begin with and I am wondering about this.
It seems like a pretty slick way of doing this if it really works. Let me know if anyone of you are familiar with
this method. I'm thinking that I will try it next summer and see how it works out. It didn't say anything about
adding salt or any seasoning of any kind.
The email goes as follows......
The Best Way To Cook Corn on the Cob For a Crowd? It's 'Cooler Corn'.
Am I the only person who hasn't heard of 'Cooler Corn'?
As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was
blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.
I was visiting my family in Maine. Short story. We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the
table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but
the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping
experience, says, "Lets do cooler corn!"
Before I could ask, "What the heck is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped
out clean, then is filled up with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over
the corn and the top closed.
Then nothing.
When we sat down to dinner, 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind
was blown. And I am told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.
Turns out, cooler corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsey set. But for those of us who avoid
tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbeques and way less of a mess than grilling. In fact,
I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer, now that I am in the know.
It seems like a pretty slick way of doing this if it really works. Let me know if anyone of you are familiar with
this method. I'm thinking that I will try it next summer and see how it works out. It didn't say anything about
adding salt or any seasoning of any kind.
The email goes as follows......
The Best Way To Cook Corn on the Cob For a Crowd? It's 'Cooler Corn'.
Am I the only person who hasn't heard of 'Cooler Corn'?
As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was
blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.
I was visiting my family in Maine. Short story. We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the
table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but
the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping
experience, says, "Lets do cooler corn!"
Before I could ask, "What the heck is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped
out clean, then is filled up with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over
the corn and the top closed.
Then nothing.
When we sat down to dinner, 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind
was blown. And I am told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.
Turns out, cooler corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsey set. But for those of us who avoid
tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbeques and way less of a mess than grilling. In fact,
I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer, now that I am in the know.




I buy a plastic water bottle for convience, then refill it over and over with tap water. I probably push the limits on all kinds of food left out, and we rarely get sick! So right, maybe too much scare-caution on this snopes report...I'll keep looking, but what an easy way to get the corn taken cae of, and out of the way!






