cuknife.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,838
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RMC

Feb 28, 2010
Forgot to give something to reference for size.. but its 5.5" long, and 1" wide at the widest part.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
well it sure looks like copper culture......what part of the country was it found? As far as value I always figuire it at 100 bucks an inch, but larger pieces demand more money and have seen 6 inch knives go for over a grand on flea bay. Your piece looks more like a spear point or harpoon style and should be very happy with a great artifact find!

Slipperyjack47

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Now that's what I call treasure! Good luck in your research. If you do find anything out about your piece, please post it. Thanks!

oilwick1

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2008
Minnesota
It is definitely a tanged knife blade. The condition has to do mostly with the acidity/non-acidity of the soil the artifact was found in. It is a very nice piece.

The statement of copper artifacts selling for $100/inch is silly. It all depends upon the type of artifact, a 3" awl isn't worth anything near what a 3" adze is worth. Just as a 4" point isn't worth what a 4" ulu-style knife is worth.

See my website at www.copperculture.homestead.com

Dave J.

OP
OP
R

RMC

Feb 28, 2010
Thanks for all the info Dave!
What do you think it could be worth? I cant find any for sale anywhere to compare..

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
The statement of 100 bucks an inch was meant as a basic guideline........ and as I stated earlier the blade should bring you somewhere in the 1000 buck range! I guess I should have made myself more clear so I did'nt sound "silly"

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wonderful blade!!

A lot of work went into making that :wink: VERY nice recovery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread