What's new

Copper & Fossil!

Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Copper & Fossil!

I put up a picture of a fossil at the bottom if anyone has any idea what it may be I'd be very interested. I think I'll post a picture of the big hunk of copper ore also see if anyone can tell me something about it :notworthy:

Hello Treasure Net I'm looking for some advice from the experts out there! I recently came across various forms of copper. One isn't pictured because I'm 99% sure it's plain copper ore with a big hunk of copper in the middle of it that I have to chisel out.

What I'm interested in is what exactly I have for the other pieces. I have access to a decent amount more and I'm interested what this stuff is worth.

There are green, clear, and white crystals all over the first two. The pictures do not do any of them justice as far as color of the copper or crystals.

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg



Thank you in advance for any help you can give me! I'm relatively new to the whole metal/mineral/rock thing but I'm very anxious to learn!
 
Re: Copper & Fossil!

You missed my second posting where I started to make a case for an ammonite. Or pieces of several, as the case may be. The thing that throws me off is that V-shaped thing in the middle of the rock. In your first fossil photo, the crusty white stuff is what may be the mother of pearl (ammolite) of the ammonite shell, and the squiggley white lines below would be the sutures. Compare those to the light brown ammonite of mine. Not the best suture photo in the world, but all I could come up with in short notice. Notice how mine are regular where the ones on your rock are north-south, east-west, kaddiwampus and kitty-cornered. That throws me off also, because those look like growth sutures, like rings in a tree, but aren't right. But I am quite sure those are not plant fossils.

But here is the bottom line: unless some of the white crusty stuff is actually gem quality ammolite (doubtful) then the piece you have, although interesting, has minimal, if any, value. That's a description of most of the the rocks in my collection, also. Even the half dollar sized polished ammonites I showed in the photo sell for $2.25.

Let me tell a little story about an "ammonite". My son came back from New Mexico and told me there were "ammonites on the surface, all over the place, and they are big ones". That in itself doesn't seem too possible as if it were the case, they would have all been dug out. But we were going there anyway. So we walked in about a mile and found this structure that looked like a 2 1/2 ft ammonite, but rough. The area around it was smooth rock, making quite the contrast, so we dug it out, carried it back a mile to the car (only about 50 lbs. or so). We took it to someone who knew and it wasn't an ammonite. The only thing we could figure out was that this place had a little whirlpools or eddies and the place it touched on the bottom formed this swirly thing out of coarser grained mud than the area around it, so it was totally different. End result: entered it in the rock club's contest and won first prize in "Ugliest Rock" catagory.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom