image.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 1,044
Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd still call it a Manitou. Mainly to keep me from forgetting about it. Was my first impression ,though too out of context to be native crafted from bronze. Inspired by natives? , Maybe. The water serpent. Or whatever the spirit is that stirs up water unexpectedly.

(Check out an Arial shot of Manitou Island too if you're bored. Check its shape. Add a couple lengths to it's blunt "forks"...:o)

I mentioned before of some places /folks to consult.
Near me today I'd hit the college of art and design.

If you are going to keep researching (suggesting here, not telling you) treat it like it is an object I hold that you are vaguely interested in. With no pretense.

Keep at it.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos on the good pics. Not sure what it is, but if you want I can send them to some archealogists to get their opinion. Just let me know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos on the good pics. Not sure what it is, but if you want I can send them to some archealogists to get their opinion. Just let me know.

Yes please. I have a picture of the composition on here too. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-mail and pics sent to 3 archaeologists in Ohio. One is a curator at the Ohio History Connection, the second works for a natural history organization, and the third a college professor who has conducted a lot of field excavations. Will post their replies as I get them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-mail and pics sent to 3 archaeologists in Ohio. One is a curator at the Ohio History Connection, the second works for a natural history organization, and the third a college professor who has conducted a lot of field excavations. Will post their replies as I get them.
Sweet ty I hope they can help with the mystery I look forward to hearing back thanks again

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Mint
So glad you are still on the hunt for answers.
Sorry, I wish I coulkd help and I hope someone out there can.
Good luck...

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Curator at the Ohio History Connection doesn't know and is waiting to hear back from a few colleagues. The college professor is unsure of the purpose. Keep fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems a little too small to be a bottle opener and it probably pre-dates crown caps. I have seen objects like this made for smoking short cigars. The handle wouldn't go into the palm but between the thumb and forefinger or knuckle.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint, below is the response from the Curator at the Ohio History Connection. Using logic he did narrow the search, but a positive ID has thus far eluded him and his colleagues. If you haven't done so already I recommend showing it to one or more Archeologists/Anthropologists who are familiar with the mounds and that area of the state to get their input. Better yet, invite them to the spot where you found it, as seeing the location first hand will help them re-construct the context that may mean the difference between IDing the artifact and not. Good luck.

"Being as it appears of cast brass, as it so appears, it is a post-contact era piece. Copper materials as associated with Michigan mound culture would have greater degrading due to reaction with water or air and be pitted. The green oxidation here indicates a relatively high copper content, but being so well preserved it is assuredly brass and with a reasonable amount of nickel. Most unfortunately, as a surface find, and a direct lacking archaeological (stratigraphic) context, it will remain a mystery unsolved. Unless John Schweikart here is correct and it is a decorative pull that has parallels elsewhere.

If it exhibits use, as say the open end shows some use pattern, it might be an early trade item stylized to the benefit of a Native trade partner. Otherwise I could not venture to say. The fact it’s found in association with a bottle (etc?) dump (?) also indicates a likely historic association. Heck of a thing to throw away but I’ve seen many such (“they threw that away?”) examples."

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If It Is Bronze...It Could Be Roman?

What it may be...Is a Roman Bronze...Strap End?

Strap Ends 5.jpg Strap Ends.jpg Strap Ends 4.jpg Strap Ends 3.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint, below is the response from the Curator at the Ohio History Connection. Using logic he did narrow the search, but a positive ID has thus far eluded him and his colleagues. If you haven't done so already I recommend showing it to one or more Archeologists/Anthropologists who are familiar with the mounds and that area of the state to get their input. Better yet, invite them to the spot where you found it, as seeing the location first hand will help them re-construct the context that may mean the difference between IDing the artifact and not. Good luck.

"Being as it appears of cast brass, as it so appears, it is a post-contact era piece. Copper materials as associated with Michigan mound culture would have greater degrading due to reaction with water or air and be pitted. The green oxidation here indicates a relatively high copper content, but being so well preserved it is assuredly brass and with a reasonable amount of nickel. Most unfortunately, as a surface find, and a direct lacking archaeological (stratigraphic) context, it will remain a mystery unsolved. Unless John Schweikart here is correct and it is a decorative pull that has parallels elsewhere.

If it exhibits use, as say the open end shows some use pattern, it might be an early trade item stylized to the benefit of a Native trade partner. Otherwise I could not venture to say. The fact it’s found in association with a bottle (etc?) dump (?) also indicates a likely historic association. Heck of a thing to throw away but I’ve seen many such (“they threw that away?”) examples."
no nickel here’s the composition

Attachments

• 9C08DC6E-568E-4933-895F-497106253003.jpeg
    9C08DC6E-568E-4933-895F-497106253003.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
These Percentages...Appear To Be Bang On...For 1st Century Composite...Roman Bronze!

no nickel here’s the composition

Bronze.jpeg

Roman Bronze

Number of samples 1st century 191

Zn (Zinc)...10%... Sn (Tin)...4-2%... Pb (Lead)...2-2%... Cu (Copper)...Balance

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Could It Be...Phosphor Bronze?

Bronze is alloyed with Tin - not Zinc./

Bronze can be made with other alloys as in Phosphor Bronze

Effect of Zinc on Strength and Electrical Conductivity in Phosphor Bronze

AlloyFePSnZnCuElectrical
Conductivity
%IACS
Tensile
Strength
Ksi (MPa)
Yield
Strength
Ksi (MPa)
2.20.061.8Bal3399 (682)96 (662)
2.20.061.85Bal2999 (682)94 (648)
2.20.061.810Bal25108 (745)101 (696)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bronze can be made with other alloys as in Phosphor Bronze

Phosphor Bronze is a very modern metal. When Zinc is added it becomes brass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor_bronze

Around 2001, the Olin Corporation developed another alloy for use in electrical and electronic connectors which they referred to as "phosphor bronze".[6] Its composition was as follows:

Zinc – 9.9%
Tin – 2.2%
Iron – 1.9%
Phosphorus – 0.03%
Copper – 85.97%

When assessed in strictly metallurgical terms it is not a phosphor bronze, but a form of iron-modified tin brass.

Copper alloyed with Tin is Bronze metal.
Copper alloyed with Zinc is Brass metal.

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Rose By Any Other Name...Would Smell As Sweet!

Phosphor Bronze is a very modern metal. When Zinc is added it becomes brass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor_bronze

Copper alloyed with Tin is Bronze metal.
Copper alloyed with Zinc is Brass metal.

And if the Romans made this...Strap End...with this same Metallurgic Recipe Verified... by Strengthening Copper with Zinc rather than Tin...which today is a form of Phosphor Bronze...then by finding this ancient Roman Strap End... Proves that they had this knowledge prior of the invention of Zinc fortified Phosphor Bronze!

https://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/2001/06/phosphor_bronze.html

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can call a cat a horse if you want.

If copper is alloyed with Zinc it is brass - no matter how much phosphorous is added.

In any case there is no evidence the piece in question is bronze, nor does it contain phosphorus.

As I pointed out previously the inclusion of lead points to a machine age brass formula. Lead does not alloy with brass but it mixes fairly well and provides lubrication for machine tooling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions