21.9 KB · Views: 309

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is two bullet shells...one inside the other. Oldtimers used to make match safes this way...prospectors used to hide small gold nuggets in them as well...crack it open! ;D

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
The primer on that still looks live! Be careful!

Bluezman

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Great picture and I.d's folks. It looks like an old brass 10 gauge shotgun shell with a 12 gauge (maybe unfired) brass shotgun shell shoved inside. As Romeo posted this was common years ago and worked with later 12 Ga. and 16 Ga. shells too they could be filled with stick matches and dipped in paraffin wax for a good waterproof case. Done that. Nice find Copperhead let us know what the surprise inside is.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep---its two old "brass" style metal shotgun shell casings one 10 gauge / the other 12 gauge--old timers used to make "waterproof match carriers" or for other small bit items---beware that primer looks "live" still---wonder whats inside?--(strike anywhere matches most likely)---Ivan

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I was so worried about your safety that I forgot to mention that it is a very cool find.
Hope you find a pleasent surprise inside.
Bluezman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Well, sorry to report..there was nothing inside my find....and to those of you who warned about the primer you are right they both are live.....thank you..I was so engrossed into figuring out how to open it, I never even paid any attention to the fact that they were live....in regards to the shells, they are brass?...is there any way to date them?....thanks again for your warnings....I have enough trouble typing with my fingers, let alone my toes...

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sorry to hear they were empty but the good news is the shell casings are old style types and thus most likely are fairly old--for safely I would "snap" those primers in a gun although it might drop the value of them --me I'd rather be safe---if the primers are that old their rather very unstable-- should just be a small" pop" so long as theres no powder charge in the shells---nice find by the way how did you find it?---Ivan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread