What's new

Coprolites?

Jessicamae3

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2013
Messages
73
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Are these coprolites?

I plan on teaching my students about fossils this year.
I came across these and can not identify.
I am curious if these are coprolites or something else?
The first graders will LOVE it if it is.
This is just a small sampling of what I have found.
I can not locate similar examples online and am looking for your expertise.
Thanks!
Picture would help!

image-3037539144.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-2424351872.webp
    image-2424351872.webp
    105.6 KB · Views: 107
No, those aren't coprolites. They look like standard rock/shell concretions.
 
Thanks!
 
The one in the lower far right, seems to have a stone embedded.
Any quartz in your area?
Wander how/if it would clean and polish.
Ray
 
It is hard to tell without hands on viewing, but they do look similar to some specimens that I have found here in MT.


image-3037539144.webp

The ones circled look like they may be coprolites, and some look like they have eroded to show the shells inside. Here are a few that I have found that look somewhat similar.


folder 3 001.webp

I think that Harry may give you a better answer since he is more local to your area.
 
Old Digger, I hear you about holding and looking. I have seen both as coprolites and concretion in photos on google. My family thinks I am weird. Hahaha. I have to beg someone to go with me. I do not like to go alone into the woods on the paths. You just never know who might watch me go in alone. Mace, knife, and I am always looking over my shoulder!

Here's some other random concretions or coprolites or coral or I have no earthly idea.

image-404106370.webp

I really need to take my small collection to a local university and have someone in the geology department help me make heads and tails of it!
I have found a large cycad fossil(?) with pine needle fossils on the other side(?) and a pine cone fossil.

image-2563095646.webp

image-555082921.webp

image-806189663.webp


I may have found bones of some marine life but in the white dry sand where I explore, it could go either way between bone or coral. I want to make sure as I share it with my class, I am correctly teaching them. Regardless a professional or at least someone who has put more than the month I have into researching Florida finds is who I need to see or here from. If that is you...chime in!

Loving my new shirt!
image-3962196135.webp
Here are two of my more liked finds.

image-3619438790.webp

image-2346445216.webp

image-939157500.webp

Edited: sorry about the pictures...they are blurry as I had to use my iPad. Apparently one too many trips out on the gulf with my "good" camera fishing has it not working up to par. Also the large cycad and pine was found by my son who is 5. I never even saw it!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom