What's new

Core

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question on cores.
#1. What is the difference between a core or a spall?
#2. Did they ever use cores for anything when they were done with them?
#3. Why would these 2 be so small?
#4. Seeing they are so small do you think they made and used the removed pieces for tools?
The reason I ask is cause I am on a area that I have permission to hunt and am finding a lot of cores and the one on the right is so small.
What could they of made to leave such a small core.
Thanks for your thoughts on this, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2436.webp
    100_2436.webp
    136 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0
Agatized Coral (head), mother material, core and/or spalls removed, Hillsborough Co., FL
cleancoralhead.jpg


Agatized Coral Core, Pasco Co, FL The flat spots are where spalls were taken off. '
And yes, when a core gets smaller it can be made into all sorts of artifacts, eventually those pieces will become nubbins.
"Putrefaction is the End, of all that Nature doth intend"
CoralCore2.jpg

CoralCore3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Agatized Coral (head), mother material, core and/or spalls removed, Hillsborough Co., FL
cleancoralhead.jpg


Agatized Coral Core, Pasco Co, FL The flat spots are where spalls were taken off. '
And yes, when a core gets smaller it can be made into all sorts of artifacts, eventually those pieces will become nubbins.
"Putrefaction is the End, of all that Nature doth intend"
CoralCore2.jpg

CoralCore3.jpg

Tom and I find alot of the coral hammer stones, when a chunk of coral is "pithy" not fully agatized they seems to have liked those for the hammer stones, I have them ranging from basketball sizes on down...mainly becuiase I found them at a quarry site they were using... as for the subject in this thread, these are spalls I am driving off of the host rock/head, as I work the head down it willbe my core

DSC02134.jpg

DSC02139.jpg
 
Holy crap! nice examples of Florida's fine state stone. I think I remember reading that agatized coral is a type of chalcedoney:dontknow:
 
it is coral that has agatized, minerals replacing the other mineral and keeping the same form, "pseudomorph," here is some truer chalcedony...we call it ledge flint down here, it is more or less a compressed algea this stuff is some sweet rock to find


DSC08120.jpg

DSC08118.jpg

DSC08113.jpg

DSC08112.jpg
 
Paleo Boys really liked that Ledge Flint!! JC the pic of spalls is awesomely definitive boom
Baybottom core with saltwater patina, same 'ol paleo site!
paleosaltwaterpatinabaybottom2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Huh, looks like a large animal horked-up a snot ball on you're core. How much of that is saltwater patina, and how much is core.. Very cool.
 
TOm, when it warms up in a few months I will take you to one of my river rock spots if ya wanna come out and play....
 
Those are some of the nicest cores I have ever seen. Thanks Tom and cent
 
Summer can't come too soon, JC!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom