Cotopaxi,CO...........Treasure

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The earliest settlers remembered in Cotopaxi were George Henry Thomas,E. H. Saltiel and Mr. Hart. George Thomas or Gold Tom, as he was called,was a gold placer miner. He built and lived in a log cabin in what iscalled “Gold Tom Park”, just northeast of Cotopaxi. Gold Tom located theCotopaxi mine in 1873. For Some time he worked the mine for gold but found little later sold the mine and went back to placer mining.
The story goes that Gold Tom’s treasure is buried somewhere in Gold Tom Park,but it has never been found. In the year 1880 Gold Tom and a man by the name of Myers had a dispute over a dog. The argument led into a feud and Myers shot and killed Gold Tom. The shooting took place in front of what is now the Clyde Basham home. Gold Tom was carried to the backroom of the Hart Hotel, there within a few hours he died; thus ending his famous life.

Interesting Historical Facts Concerning Cotopaxi Pioneers
By Mrs. Elizabeth Gulliford
“The Sun”
Thursday, August 26, 1954

Old photo http://www.rootsweb.com/~cophotos/Fremont/cotopaxi1902.htm

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
Hey Dennis, nice pic of "Old Moes" you got there, lol. :icon_jokercolor: Yes, Cotopaxi is supposed to have a few good "things" going for it. I was in Bighorn canyon three weeks ago hiking and just goofing off. Tom Park was supposed to have buried a cache of Gold coins in cotopaxi also-unfound? Per the United States Treasure Atlas Volume 2---ISBN 0939850176.

angeladver

Sep 22, 2023
Great, I love treasure tales. You bring em, I'll skin em!
Already have the TOPO on the table! ;D
Dennis I also live in Canon City and I was wondering if you would like to go hunt for Tom Parks Gold Coins with me as I have spent a few hours up near where Toms Cabin was Built. Let me know and we will go look again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread