COULD SOMEONE IDENTIFY THIS PLEASE!!!!????

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a building check as part of my patrol route, and while walking around I happen to look down and spotted this in the parking lot nestled up against the curb. This past Wednesday night the DPW was flushing the hydrants out on the main road and the water trickles into the parking lot. I am in an area in Massachusetts where the Ponkapoag Indians lived (Paul Reveres hometown). Could anyone tell me if this is what i think it is or is it just a heavy ball of nothing?????

Thank you!
Jim Briggs

Attachments

• musketball.jpg
    musketball.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 291
  • musketball2.jpg
    musketball2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 150
  • musketball3.jpg
    musketball3.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 8

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will a Magnet pick it up ?

Boss Mike

Oct 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a building check as part of my patrol route, and while walking around I happen to look down and spotted this in the parking lot nestled up against the curb. This past Wednesday night the DPW was flushing the hydrants out on the main road and the water trickles into the parking lot. I am in an area in Massachusetts where the Ponkapoag Indians lived (Paul Reveres hometown). Could anyone tell me if this is what i think it is or is it just a heavy ball of nothing?????

Thank you!
Jim Briggs
It's a Cannon ball

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The ruler shows it to be slightly larger than 1/2", possibly .69" which is standard for Brown Bess era muskets (bore was .75 but the balls were made smaller and patched if there was time or just loaded bare if in a battle). If it's lead, that's likely what it is. Good find if so. You can tell whether lead by getting its density. If it's a musket ball, you probably don't want to mark it, which is another way of telling. Lead is a very soft metal that marks easily and shows a grey metallic colour in the scratch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread