COULD SOMEONE IDENTIFY THIS PLEASE!!!!????

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a building check as part of my patrol route, and while walking around I happen to look down and spotted this in the parking lot nestled up against the curb. This past Wednesday night the DPW was flushing the hydrants out on the main road and the water trickles into the parking lot. I am in an area in Massachusetts where the Ponkapoag Indians lived (Paul Reveres hometown). Could anyone tell me if this is what i think it is or is it just a heavy ball of nothing?????

Thank you!
Jim Briggs

Attachments

• musketball.jpg
    musketball.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 292
  • musketball2.jpg
    musketball2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 151
  • musketball3.jpg
    musketball3.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 8
OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like cannon shot to me....too big for a musket. May have been part of a grapeshot load.
OF ALL THE PLACES...A PARKING LOT!?. I wonder if the hydrant flushing had anything to do with it....anyways my eyesight is bad, is there anything i should be looking for on this for verification????????

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OF ALL THE PLACES...A PARKING LOT!?. I wonder if the hydrant flushing had anything to do with it....anyways my eyesight is bad, is there anything i should be looking for on this for verification????????
Make sure your measurements are good and look around on the internet for sizes that match. I don't think there are any musket balls larger than .75, so if that is a true inch I'd go with grapeshot.

There's lots of blokes smarter than I am on this site though, so maybe someone will weigh in with better information.

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure your measurements are good and look around on the internet for sizes that match. I don't think there are any musket balls larger than .75, so if that is a true inch I'd go with grapeshot.

There's lots of blokes smarter than I am on this site though, so maybe someone will weigh in with better information.
I dont even know what this measured at. i just put a ruler on it. But can you call me a bloke? I never have been called one before!!!.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't even know what this measured at. i just put a ruler on it. But can you call me a bloke? I never have been called one before!!!.

Not sure how to approach this in today's gender confused world. :icon_scratch:

If you came from the factory with your goodies on the outside, then
it's OK for him to call you a "bloke". I kinda sorta think it's a British
equivalent to "Dude".

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont even know what this measured at. i just put a ruler on it. But can you call me a bloke? I never have been called one before!!!.
Actually he didn't call you a Bloke.

Creaky stated:
"There's lots of blokes smarter than I am on this site though, so maybe someone will weigh in with better information."

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Lead or iron? Lead it's a Brown Bess round ball, Iron it's some sort of canister, or grape shot. Brown Bess used a 71 cal round ball, lead.

Note: The actual bore size of the Brown Bess was .75 but .71 was used at times as they were easier to load in a fouled musket.

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead or iron? Lead it's a Brown Bess round ball, Iron it's some sort of canister, or grape shot. Brown Bess used a 71 cal round ball, lead.
Used to fire them every once in awhile. They would take .75, which I think was standard, but irregular rounds weren't all that uncommon, probably, back when troops molded their own.

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
Actually he didn't call you a Bloke.

Creaky stated:
"There's lots of blokes smarter than I am on this site though, so maybe someone will weigh in with better information."
You are correct. Is he calling me a bloke??
I'm triggered!! ;-)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grape shot, mill ball or ball bearing, but kind of big for a ball bearing. All would have been made of iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread