What's new

Could these 2 Old Bottles be worth anything?

NorCalGal

Greenie
Joined
Apr 25, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Have had these 2 bottles for awhile. Never thought they might be worth anything and then i saw this forum and thought I'd see what ya'll thought.
Green bottle only has 2 markings. 1 on the bottle at the bottom edge that I believe says 207. The second is on the bottom of the bottle that I believe says 30-S and it's underlined. You can tell there was a label (not a paper one) around the neck of the bottle but there isn't enough to tell from what company. 20250507_095725.webp20250507_101824.webp20250507_101833.webp20250507_101908.webp20250507_102022.webp20250507_102143.webp20250507_102242.webp20250507_102202.webp
The brown bottle is an old Clorox bottle and has the word CLOROX around the mouth, at the top in large font and again right below that in a smaller font (along with 2 "16 ⬇️ OZ") Smaller font CLOROX circling the bottom of the bottle and then on the very bottom Another large "CLOROX" in the middle of a diamond/rhombus shape surrounded by REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.
Thanks in advance 😊
 
I don't know about the green one, but a similar Clorox bottle with the original rubber stopper recently sold on eBay for $3.99 plus $6.95 shipping.
 
I don't know about the green one, but a similar Clorox bottle with the original rubber stopper recently sold on eBay for $3.99 plus $6.95 shipping.
Well, I don't have the stopper so mine would go for less than that I suppose. Think it's of more value to me displayed with my other vintage kitchen/home items lol. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated 😊
 
Check out the Streator plant for American bottling for the S bottle. Might be them. I'm not at home to look, but that looks familiar to me.
 
For the green bottle, there's one here for $5.99 'buy it now'. The seller incorrectly says it's marked '29-5' but it's actually '29-S' and presumably a date code.

View attachment 2206550
Thanks so much! Still think the value is more in keeping it in my collection lol but that date code info is good to know. Would you happen to know anywhere to find info about what the date codes mean?
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out the Streator plant for American bottling for the S bottle. Might be them. I'm not at home to look, but that looks familiar to me.
OK I will do that. Thanks so much for the info
 
Nice bottles. Congratulations and thanks for posting.
 
Nice bottles :headbang:
I buy bottles at flea markets and such. I would pay $5 for each of yours, up to $10 depending on age and design. I pay a little more for old blue bottles.
 
Check out the Streator plant for American bottling for the S bottle. Might be them. I'm not at home to look, but that looks familiar to me.

Thanks so much! Still think the value is more in keeping it in my collection lol but that date code info is good to know. Would you happen to know anywhere to find info about what the date codes mean?

I believe @jrf30 is correct.

When the Owens Bottle Co. bought the controlling stock in the American Bottle Co., there were only two factories still in operation; one at Streator, and the other at Newark and they apparently used the letters S and N respectively with a two digit date code.

What is know as the “25 S” series have the codes marked on the base of the bottle rather than on the heel as had originally been the case. The codes are seen both with and without an underline (most usually with) on the bases of Select style soda bottles between 1920 and 1930 and mostly (possibly only) on emerald green, forest green, and amber bottles.

The two-digit date code is followed by either an S or an N, sometimes with and sometimes without a hyphen. Although the base coding system is believed to have started in 1920, the earliest example of the mark seems to be ‘S 25’ (for 1925) and the latest ‘S 30’ (for 1930).

Deciphering codes can be difficult because there are so many variations and no uniformity of systems between manufacturers, but here’s a link to a pdf download that gives lots of useful information on various codings used by the American Bottle Company:
https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/AmericanBottleCo.pdf

The SHA (Society for Historical Archaeology) site has a wealth of information on other manufacturers, their bottle/jar types, trademarks, and coding systems:
https://sha.org/bottle/makersmarks.htm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom