High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I was checking on my geocache at some old stone work along the old Champlain canal. I spotted it laying there in the open. It was packed full of dirt and must have slid down the slope. I don't believe it was there when I visited a month earlier. I do have a few of these recessed panel medicine bottles, but have no idea of age. This one is 5 1/2 tall and 2" wide there is a 221 embossed on the bottom. Construction on the canal started in 1817 and was completed in 1823. Couldn't find when it was decommissioned. I'm defiantly returning in the Spring.

canal 1.JPG canal 2.JPG

Attachments

• Canal bottle.JPG
    Canal bottle.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 57

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bottle is from 1890-1910 era. It was hand blown in a mold and has a hand-tooled neck and lip. Its a nice looking slick. Where it came from is hard to determine. If it was filled with dirt then was buried, probably in a trash pit or privy. Is the ground level there the original ground floor or the basement level? I cant see a privy being put up-hill from a house, but a trash pit could be possible.

I would try raking back the leaves and deadfall to see if you can find a concentration (or trail) of rust and glass. I would use a probe in the area to see if you can find more.

ETA - Bottles like yours were a mass produced item and sold to many businesses. The number on the bottom is a model number. The purchaser would put his own product in the bottle and glue a paper label to the inset panel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jason. The bottle was found at the bottom of the canal. 20 feet up the slope is a State road. Back in 1817, it was probably a dirt trail and there would have been room for a house up there. Going to give it a good raking.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, my mistake then. I thought the wall in the pic was part of a building.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool I would be back in the spring thats for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread