What's new

Could this be a counterfeit gold dollar?

Kevin in IN

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
479
Reaction score
370
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a farm field site that used to be a log house. I'm not sure how old it was, but it has produced a civil war token. I got a good hit on the GT and dug this small coin at about six inches. At first I thought I'd dug me a three cent piece,but could see a 1 on the reverse. The diameter is 15.12mm. Thickness is 1.38mm. Weight is 1.39g. I looked up one dollar gold coins and what I thought was really strange is it appears to be made from two types of coins. Hope these pictures are sized right. I took them at work on a high resolution scope. Thanks for looking. Sorry folks I can't figure out how to post my pictures. Can someone help me out?
 
The standard weight for the $1 gold dollars is 1.672 grams, NWS the type.
Two varieties exist of the Indian Princess Head (versus the Liberty Head); both varieties of the Indian Head are 15 mm in diameter.
If it's a 'small head' it's definately either an 1854 or 1855; and it could be a 1856.
The 'large head' began in 1856 and ran through 1889. Can you read the date?
Don.....
 
Upvote 0
It has no markings other than the 1 . no date, no united states etc. Thanks for the reply. I'm having issues with this new format. I have some good pictures, just can't get them to post.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom