greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't pass up the Land ranger pro

I started detecting just a few weeks ago with a F2 but after going out with a friend and seeing how much better he could locate and identify with his ATP I knew I had to upgrade. The issue was I wasn't sure if I liked his ATP so I was just searching the internet when I stumbled upon the LRP which had all the features of the ATP and was substantially less money I decided I had to give it a try. Does anyone have any tips or set up suggestions for it? Hopefully I will get a couple weeks detecting with it before the ground totally freezes up here.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read the manual. It has 3 preset modes, 3 custom and AM mode. I found better depth without it being notched (like the Coin mode), But even then expect 8" on coins.

It takes a little to get used to the conductivity arc. But after awhile, it sings nicely and I use the numerical more now. I have the F2 as well. But I bought the Quick Draw Pro to get the 10" C coil and I use the QDP more than the F2. Debating whether to sell the F2, because even though it has a NEL Sharpshooter for it, the QDP with the 11" DD from the LRP is deeper and IDs just as well.

First impression of the LRP is it's a less expensive build. It wasn't designed to compete with the AT Pro, as much as it was designed lighter with many abilities, at an affordable cost.

Good luck on the LRP.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep downloaded and read the manual last night. I know it wont be an ATP but for $240, I am just hoping it will be an upgrade over my F2. Do you think i could swap sticks, between the F2 and the LRP? Thanks Phantasman.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. You cannot swap. The F2 coil is different freq and screw on, the LRP plugs in. The F2 can't even accept the rod because the F2 is in 3 parts and the LRP is in 2.

As I explained, it was my reason for buying the Quick Draw Pro. The rod and coil interchanges with the LRP. The QDP isn't much more than buying a 10" C coil for a LRP.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that thr coils are different, just wondering if the rods themselves are interchangeable as in swap the head and coil over so you then had a 3 section rod on the LRP.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that didn't come off as unappreciative, I was just trying to make clear my meaning.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope that didn't come off as unappreciative, I was just trying to make clear my meaning.

Sorry. I don't always check this forum daily.

The rod (that the coil attaches to) on the LRP and the F2 are the same size only in circumference. The LRP is about a foot longer than the F2. The way the button locks are lined up and the holes on each unit, a F2 rod on a LRP would work if you are a midget. The LRP rod would work on the F2 if you are 6'7" or taller.

My F2 uper shafts are a goldish colored aluminum. The LRP is a black aluminum, which looks nicer to me. The lower rod is the same material, just different lengths.

The swapping of anything from the F2 to the LRP is a "no go", which was my reason for the Quick Draw Pro. The QDP is a little more featurewise than the F2, a little less than the Tek Delta.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok good just didn't want you to think i was being a dink.
Yeah i meant the whole rod set up but the gold wouldn't look right but thats what krylon is for. Lol i just hear all the time that the 2 piece rod makes it feel cheap so i was thinking of a solution for that.

Where would you place the LRP in First Texas line up?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also wondering where the DD coil pin points at? Since there is no hole in the middle.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil will pinpoint off the tip or heel. I've had 2 of these coils (Omega and T2) and I didn't care for it. It loves bottle caps. I prefer a concentric coil myself. If the LRP came with the 10" coil I probably would have already ordered one. But that's just me. A lot of people use these coils and love them. I loved the 10" on my F5. I suppose I could go down the same road and get the QDP just for the coil, swap coils and sell off the QDP with 11" coil.

Still, I'd like to handle one before I pull the trigger. I'm used to the solid feel of a Tesoro, so I'm a little hesitant to buy the LRP sight unseen.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dan.
I have hunted with a friend who has the ATP with the DD on it and he loves it so I figured I would give it a try. If it turns out I don't like it I will go the way that Phan suggested and get the QDP (I may anyways if my wife wants to get one.).

I will be sure to keep you updated on how I feel about it and I will try and get some side by side pics of it and my F2, unfortunately we are getting a foot of snow at the moment so it may be quite a while before I get to swing it.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK received my LRP today and I am impressed. besides the push pin coil hook up and two piece (yes it feels cheap) rod system it seems much better than my F2. The read out is much better, I like the look of the control box better, and the cable for the coil is almost 2x thicker than the F2s. As far as controls go no contest it is head and shoulders above the F2 heck just being able to adjust the volume is a huge bonus not to mention all the adjust-ability. I also like the fact that it only takes one 9v. Unfortunately we got our first real winter storm yesterday and I will not be able to take it fishing for a while but I will do some air tests and compare the two.

20141111_120532_zpsxw7o2k4a.jpg
20141111_120639_zpshejkuc75.jpg
20141111_120852_zpscrnqku8y.jpg
20141111_120913_zpsgjmwxnjz.jpg

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take your time with the LRP. It has a lot more going on under the hood than the F2. Also, the site you referenced with the concentric on the LRP shows a 8" option. Dan B may have been speaking of the 10" elliptical concentric that came standard on the F5, and comes standard on the Quick Draw Pro.

Dan B has a great point. I, as well, prefer the 10" concentric to the 11" DD. FTP should make it an option like some of the Teks. After switching coils with the QDP and LRP, I took the QDP out today for the first time using the 11" DD off of the LRP. It was OK, but I like the PPing with the concentric, plus it seems calmer when I turn the sensitivity up.(yes, Dan B, I'm the same one. Couldn't use Hightone here way back when).

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think I may have convinced my better half to get a detector as well so this spring i will be getting one for her and she wants the lightweight of the bounty hunter line so I think I will get her one with a concentric coil so I have the option then.

nmdetectorguy

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi greaser i like the 11"dd coil it has a little round circle near the middle mine pinpoints perfectly on that spot. In the past i have always disliked dd coils and i mean really disliked them. This one is great, does not seem any deeper in air tests but has better coverage. This coil is great. I cant afford an f75 right now but the LRP is super for its price. It will give the at pro a run for its money any day. Just wish they made the 4" coil to fit it. HH

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi greaser i like the 11"dd coil it has a little round circle near the middle mine pinpoints perfectly on that spot. In the past i have always disliked dd coils and i mean really disliked them. This one is great, does not seem any deeper in air tests but has better coverage. This coil is great. I cant afford an f75 right now but the LRP is super for its price. It will give the at pro a run for its money any day. Just wish they made the 4" coil to fit it. HH

The 5" DD coil for the Fisher F5 works. Just got to specify a plug in connector. Or NEL will send you a 5" Sharp with the plug in coil if you email them at nelcoil.com (expect a 5-7 day production time wait).

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good to hear NM I will definitely give it a fair try this spring. I am glad you agree on it giving the ATP a run for its money after playing with it a bit I am definitely impressed for 40 dollars more than my F2 it seems leaps and bounds above it. Speaking of playing with the LRP I did a bunch of air testing with it today should a start a thread with my results on depth and VDI?

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saved them to my favorites Phan, thanks for that lead looks like a great place for coils.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's good to hear NM I will definitely give it a fair try this spring. I am glad you agree on it giving the ATP a run for its money after playing with it a bit I am definitely impressed for 40 dollars more than my F2 it seems leaps and bounds above it. Speaking of playing with the LRP I did a bunch of air testing with it today should a start a thread with my results on depth and VDI?

I know. I did one on another forum. Were you as impressed as I was? I found the Coin mode was a little less on depth than the Jewelry mode on coins. Did you experience the same? I attributed it to the autonotch.

My deepest was about 9-10" on a quarter. Can't remember the setting or VDI though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions