Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. Unfortunately it’s counterfeit but I still dig it. Any information is appreciated. Thanks for the look
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565836744.387881.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565836776.008538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565836812.773588.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565836855.004038.jpg

Upvote 32
OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great relic! Would be mind blowing if it was the real deal but it's great nevertheless. Congratulations!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! yours is in pretty good shape what’s it made of?
Not really sure. Guessing some kind of pewter mixture. It's slightly bendable in my fingers and rings a 61 on the deus whereas silver coins would usually be 90+

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Wow! That is a GREAT find! I would spray the heck out of it with hair spray to keep it from crumbling. That has worked great on my pewter buttons. Plus hair spray is water soluble. You can easily remove it for future cleaning or preservation.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great relic! Would be mind blowing if it was the real deal but it's great nevertheless. Congratulations!

Thanks. Hopefully one day I get to swing my coil over a real one and display them together.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is a GREAT find! I would spray the heck out of it with hair spray to keep it from crumbling. That has worked great on my pewter buttons. Plus hair spray is water soluble. You can easily remove it for future cleaning or preservation.

That’s what someone else recommended. I definitely like the hairspray trick seems to be holding up pretty good now. Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565963499.892307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565963513.835209.jpg

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is pretty cool!!! I guess it's the next best thing! I'm not sure if the penalty was death at that time for counterfeiting something like that but you can bet it would be a pretty hefty sentence. They didn't mess around with silver counterfeiters.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most all information on the net about counterfeit draped bust dollars pertains to more modern chinese made fakes. Yours being dug certainly gives us the impression that it was a period made piece. That brings the coolness factor to a far higher level. If you could get it sealed well enough that it won't decompose, it wouldn't surprise me that a collector might be willing to pay several hundred bucks for it. I think it's an awesome find. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is pretty cool!!! I guess it's the next best thing! I'm not sure if the penalty was death at that time for counterfeiting something like that but you can bet it would be a pretty hefty sentence. They didn't mess around with silver counterfeiters.

Counterfeiters of small denomination bronze coinage had been around for decades by then and it was usually considered a public service at a time of coin shortages. Don't know if silver and gold counterfeits were as well received. IMO. the history of this counterfeit would be more interesting than the real coin!

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most all information on the net about counterfeit draped bust dollars pertains to more modern chinese made fakes. Yours being dug certainly gives us the impression that it was a period made piece. That brings the coolness factor to a far higher level. If you could get it sealed well enough that it won't decompose, it wouldn't surprise me that a collector might be willing to pay several hundred bucks for it. I think it's an awesome find. Congrats!

That’s great. I really appreciate your input. I did spray it with hairspray hopefully that does the trick.I probably should mention that I found it in the middle of the woods surrounded by rock walls that I believe was an old farmers field. I’ve also found an 1821 large cent,flat buttons and iron gardening tools in the same field. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeiters of small denomination bronze coinage had been around for decades by then and it was usually considered a public service at a time of coin shortages. Don't know if silver and gold counterfeits were as well received. IMO. the history of this counterfeit would be more interesting than the real coin!

Very interesting. I’m going to dive more into this topic when snow starts to fly. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread