What's new

Counterfeit 1858 seated liberty quarter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter umrgolf
  • Start date Start date
U

umrgolf

Guest
I dug this last year and just dug it out of some junk.. I just wanted to know if anyone's ever seen silver do something like this? I'm 99% sure its a fake but again, I don't have any counterfeit coins that I know of so, I'd like to be certain. Thanks .. Jeff
 

Attachments

  • ctft 1858.webp
    ctft 1858.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 649
  • ctft 1858 back .webp
    ctft 1858 back .webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 534
IP and BB.. theoretically speaking, If I ever tried to sell this coin.. Where would be a good place to start in my search for a collector of period counterfeits?
 
Upvote 0
umrgolf2000 said:
IP and BB.. theoretically speaking, If I ever tried to sell this coin.. Where would be a good place to start in my search for a collector of period counterfeits?

Not worth selling. Halfpenny/ Farthing, reales, and French billon is more where the interest is for countefeits, and of course probably a few more exceptions. Even most counterfiet halfpennies, farthings, and reales, have very little interest to a serious collector. All about rarity and condition just like every other type of coin.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
IP and BB.. theoretically speaking, If I ever tried to sell this coin.. Where would be a good place to start in my search for a collector of period counterfeits?

Not worth selling. Halfpenny/ Farthing reales, and French billon is more where the interest is for countefeits, and of course probably a few more exceptions. Even most counterfiet halfpennies, farthings, and reales, have very little interest to a serious collector. All about rarity and condition just like every other type of coin.

Ah, I see.. bummer, id never seen a period ctft qtr so wasn't sure if it was worth much, if anything. Jeff
 
Upvote 0
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
IP and BB.. theoretically speaking, If I ever tried to sell this coin.. Where would be a good place to start in my search for a collector of period counterfeits?

Not worth selling. Halfpenny/ Farthing reales, and French billon is more where the interest is for countefeits, and of course probably a few more exceptions. Even most counterfiet halfpennies, farthings, and reales, have very little interest to a serious collector. All about rarity and condition just like every other type of coin.

Ah, I see.. bummer, id never seen a period ctft qtr so wasn't sure if it was worth much, if anything. Jeff

What makes a counterfeit good is basically the history of the dies used and a lot of effort is put into understanding this. (Halfpenny is at the top) It basically boils down wanting to know what circulated in American Colonies. Something like a counterfeit seated there was probably a lot less counterfeiting at the time making it less interesting to study and trace or match different dies. (possible they do, really have no idea)
 
Upvote 0
I would buy it.P.M. me
 
Upvote 0
I have never seen a counterfeit coin but I have seen a barber dime that looked just like that. When I found it, it was black and crusty just like yours. I could make out part of the one dime on the back so I thought well it is not worth anything like this. I hooked it up to my electrolyse and was amazed at how it cleaned up. It is worn but you can see all of the detail including the date.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom