What's new

Counterfeit 1971 Kennedy

Trezurehunter

Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
20,475
Reaction score
25,977
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illinois / Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever found a counterfeit Kennedy ? I was checking my last roll today & did a quick check of the coins edges. One definitely looked silver. No copper edge at all. I pulled it out of the roll to find a weird looking 71 Kennedy with a buffed looking sheen. I mean shiny !! The coin does not have a rim, but the ridges are on the edge. I dont know what kind of metal its made of, but I've never seen anything like it. I will take it to my local coin shop, but was wondering if any of you have an idea as I may not get to the coin shop for awhile. The rest of my haul for the 2 boxes were : 1 - 1963 Franklin, & 7- 40 % Kennedys. Thanks, Ron
 
Upvote 0
I ran across something like that. I thought it was the find of a lifetime :P ..... it's probably electroplated with chrome.
 
OP, you have to upload a pic. There are so many Kennedy Halves out there that have been modified, it's hard to say which it is without a picture.

On a side note, I did get stuck with a counterfeit 1964 Kennedy Half from a CWI Roll. It was cast and definitely NOT silver.
 
Probably chrome plated. I have an Ike dollar that's in the same condition. I thought it was silver at first.
 
Thanks for your replies. I never thought of it being chrome plated. Ron
 
Keep in mind there were some 1971 and 1977 Kennedy's that were made of 40% silver by mistake.

If it is chrome plated that is one thing, but if it looks like it is silver, weigh it to find out if is 40%.
 
I have many chrome plated half dollars...including Walkers and Kennedys. A picture would be very helpful. Also, some coin counters will reject the chrome plated coins.
 
TonyT said:
I have many chrome plated half dollars...including Walkers and Kennedys. A picture would be very helpful. Also, some coin counters will reject the chrome plated coins.
I've got some to. You find some wierd stuff in those rolls.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom