woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
People occasionally post wanting to know how to tell a counterfeit from the genuine article. There are two good answers, but they're answers the people doing the asking usually don't like.

1. Buy through factory authorized distribution.

2. The factory cannot give you reliable information how to tell a counterfeit from the real thing.

Item #2 deserves a bit of explanation since it's not necessarily obvious to everyone. Manufacturers who are having to fight counterfeiters have to keep changing the product and/or the anti-counterfeiter strategies, because the counterfeiters work hard and fast to make it difficult for a customer to tell the difference between a counterfeit and the real thing. If I were to tell you "a real Tek T2SE looks like this", by the time I'm telling you that, there may be counterfeits which have copied that, and I'd be describing a counterfeit! ........Also, the industry is developing anti-counterfeiting measures which are not physical characteristics of the product, but which relate to authentication measures. In most cases, the factory does not disclose the details of the authentication measures beyond what is necessary for the authorized distribution chain to utilize the authentication measures.

Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked.

--Dave J.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People occasionally post wanting to know how to tell a counterfeit from the genuine article. There are two good answers, but they're answers the people doing the asking usually don't like.

1. Buy through factory authorized distribution.

2. The factory cannot give you reliable information how to tell a counterfeit from the real thing.

Item #2 deserves a bit of explanation since it's not necessarily obvious to everyone. Manufacturers who are having to fight counterfeiters have to keep changing the product and/or the anti-counterfeiter strategies, because the counterfeiters work hard and fast to make it difficult for a customer to tell the difference between a counterfeit and the real thing. If I were to tell you "a real Tek T2SE looks like this", by the time I'm telling you that, there may be counterfeits which have copied that, and I'd be describing a counterfeit! ........Also, the industry is developing anti-counterfeiting measures which are not physical characteristics of the product, but which relate to authentication measures. In most cases, the factory does not disclose the details of the authentication measures beyond what is necessary for the authorized distribution chain to utilize the authentication measures.

Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked.

--Dave J.

No disrespect intended sir, but,

What if the authorized distributor is dealing with re-branded copies?

Ìåòàëëîèñêàòåëü Viking 499 $ Ìåòàëëîäåòåêòîð Âèêèíã ÌÀÐÑ ÌÄ Âèêèíã

I see these guys are also agents for Fisher / Tekneticss / Bounty Hunter & they sell a re-branded GF2 which is based off the Teknetics T2 - I would have thought their position as a distributor is questionable -

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, sycotoad, I'll pass that on to marketing dept. within about 60 seconds.

It's possible they already know and have taken action, which however wouldn't necessarily be instantly reflected in the clone dealer's website.

--Dave J.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeiting is no doubt a huge problem, I was thinking aboot a second hand V3 but I remember the market being flooded with hundreds of fake V3`s a few years ago and cant bring myself to purchase one..That is the kind of damage they do to a brand. Coiltek is another popular high end product that is real tough to tell.
I wouldn't think any individuals equipment could be confiscated if they bought it in good faith, perhaps a hidden mark applied and an inspection but confiscation is the governments arena.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the info, sycotoad, I'll pass that on to marketing dept. within about 60 seconds.

It's possible they already know and have taken action, which however wouldn't necessarily be instantly reflected in the clone dealer's website.

--Dave J.
Thanks DJ and Sycotoad.
I saw this post earlier and we are working on tracking who it is and what authorized distributor they might be buying from. Many times they use bait and switch tactics and don't really have the legit brands advertised. This certainly looks fishy.

Dig Deep!

Mike

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why we should cut all trade with china period,,they are a bunch of thieves and don't respect patent or intellectual property right...we quit dealing with them and they'll be rid'in bicycles ox carts again...screw'um

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another example of what overseas metal detector buyers have to put up with -
Counterfeit Detectors - General Gold Discussions - PayDirt Forums

Minelab Authorized Dealer involved in selling used counterfeit Teknetics T2 to an unwary buyer stating he purchased it from Kellyco -

This one incident has smeared the good names of Minelab - First Texas & Kellyco because of one shady authorized dealer ......

Please feel free to read through the posts in the link provided - Dave & Mike if you are reading this, would it be at all possible for your customers that are without an authorized dealer in their country, to be able to buy from a reputable US dealer? It's obvious to many of our detecting enthusiasts over here in New Zealand that we trust many of the already established and well experienced dealers in the US & view them as a big brother, who will not only provide us with the tools needed but the knowledge they pass on is also invaluable.

Anyways Guys, thanks for everything that goes beep - I really appreciate it

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why we should cut all trade with china period,,they are a bunch of thieves and don't respect patent or intellectual property right...we quit dealing with them and they'll be rid'in bicycles ox carts again...screw'um

You do realize that China are NOT bound by copyright laws?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do realize that China are NOT bound by copyright laws?

Yea i do,thats why we should put Americans to work and tell china to kiss a$$,We don't need china,the wealthy americans do but not the worhing class..We need the jobs that have been sent to their commy a$$'es

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure who I'd be more mad at if I bought a fake T2 and sent it in for repairs, the guy I bought it from or First Texas for "Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked." Bam, just like that you would be left missing 5, 6 maybe 700 bucks and now you don't even have a detector to show for it because it's been confiscated.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure who I'd be more mad at if I bought a fake T2 and sent it in for repairs, the guy I bought it from or First Texas for "Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked." Bam, just like that you would be left missing 5, 6 maybe 700 bucks and now you don't even have a detector to show for it because it's been confiscated.

Try passing a fake $100 bill. The exact same thing happens at ANY business. They call the Police, who show up and confiscate the bill. If the business doesn't to deal with the hassle of calling the cops, they mau just hand you the bill back and ask you to leave. You can only go after who you got the bill from. Same with a fake detector.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread