NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Just dug this at the park this evening. I wasn't expecting a silver dollar, it was a jumpy mid 20s-30 signal on the Nox so when I reached into the hole at about 6 inches and pulled this coin out, I was a bit flummoxed. At first I was thinking a foreign coin or a token, but as I wiped it off, I saw the Morgan design. The coin is lead and was cast from a 1891 dollar. I don't see a mint mark.

I found it in Billings Montana, which is an old railroad/cowboy town. Best I can figure is some railroad worker or cowboy got fooled and once they realized it, they chucked the counterfeit. I'm sure other stories could be devised.

Has anyone else found any of these? I've seen some earlier counterfeits posted, but this seems kind of late for that sort of thing.

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er Billings060119.jpeg

Upvote 45

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lead? I don’t know..but that is an interesting “coin” then!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEAT FIND!!! I have seen some Counterfeit Morgans that were cast from silver with extra copper added. The one I saw was pretty crude details. Slightly greenish tint and if you looked on the edge you could see the sprue mark!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like counterfeits I have a period 1875 Seated Dime made from a cast example using antimony. Antimony is quite brittle and these piece easily cracked.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s cool

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To find a counterfeit coin would be for me more exciting than the real thing due to its story. nice

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
way cool, teeth marks? LOL

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No teeth marks :tongue3:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 real Morgan Dollars, and would give anything to dig a counterfeit ! There is such a mystique behind a counterfeit coin. They just make you wonder a little bit more about who made it, and why.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being a counterfeit coin makes it a very interesting find. I sure hope it cleans up for display! :occasion14:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to one day dig a contemporary counterfeit coin. Congrats.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is very cool :icon_thumleft:

mattgaudian

Nov 11, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the lake in my town I have found 17 or so counterfeit Morgan dollars all 1879. They look similar to what you found. I would love to know the story behind them. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468372124.329580.jpg

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the lake in my town I have found 17 or so counterfeit Morgan dollars all 1879. They look similar to what you found. I would love to know the story behind them. View attachment 1718962

Those are Awesome! And yes, they look very close to the one I dug. Do you think you were at a counterfeiting site? Or maybe just a disposal area?

mattgaudian

Nov 11, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are Awesome! And yes, they look very close to the one I dug. Do you think you were at a counterfeiting site? Or maybe just a disposal area?

I'm not sure, probably disposed of because they were found pretty far from the nearest house. The place I found them had a lot of activity in the late 1800's

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

These are some awesome finds. Maybe they were seized from people trying to gamble with them and instead of destroying them they tossed them in the lake when they go ahold of them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions