counterfeit nickels in NJ

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Hi,

I originally posted this on the PA post and Jeff of PA added it to coinroll hunting.
This could be a substantial find if it still exists.

An unofficial variety of the wartime coin dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills. The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark. [1] He also made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947, and possibly 1953 as well as one other unidentified date [2]. It is estimated that more than 100,000 of Henning's nickels reached circulation. These can still be found in pocket change, and there is a thriving collectors' market for them, although owning a counterfeit is technically illegal. Henning dumped another 200,000 nickels in Copper Creek, New Jersey, of which only 14,000 were recovered. Another 200,000 are thought to have been dumped in the Schuylkill River. When caught, Henning was sentenced to 3 years in jail, and was required to pay a $5,000 fine.

Paul

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Thanks for the info. NJ, I'm glad to know someones looking for this. From the few accounts it sounds like they really exist in Copper Creek. Believe me, if I lived closer I would be looking.
Neil, if you read this....good luck, I would love to see someone find this. If I come across any new information on this I will post it here.

Paul

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
P.B. and Dylan said:
Thanks for the info. NJ, I'm glad to know someones looking for this. From the few accounts it sounds like they really exist in Copper Creek. Believe me, if I lived closer I would be looking.
Neil, if you read this....good luck, I would love to see someone find this. If I come across any new information on this I will post it here.

Paul

All I can do at this point is hope there is a dredging project or the creek just dries up!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil in West Jersey said:
P.B. and Dylan said:

Paul

All I can do at this point is hope there is a dredging project or the creek just dries up!

Neil...lets dam up the creek then detect it before anyone figures out what is going on...lol.

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
wow i wonder if severe storms or flash floods have moved the coins south or downstream hey NEIL if ya need help or are still searching let me know i can come out and help you out.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also Mentioned Here

In 1953, Francis Henning made counterfeit nickels in his New Jersey machine shop. He used several different dates, including 1944. But he forgot to add the “P” mintmark. Henning’s counterfeit 1944 nickels were slightly larger and heavier than the real thing, and they weren’t the right alloy.

Coin collector Walter Williams was the first person to spot some of the phony nickels. At first the Secret Service pronounced them genuine. But the Mint superintendent wasn’t sure and sent them to a lab. It found them to be counterfeits.

With federal agents hot on the trail, Henning dumped thousands of counterfeit nickels into the Cooper River. He was arrested in Cleveland on Oct. 27, 1955. Weeks later, police found $10,000 in counterfeit nickels and two of the six dies Henning had used to make them. They were at the bottom of the river.

Henning was tried, convicted and sentenced to three years in jail. The judge added three years to the sentence when he learned of Henning’s plan to counterfeit $5 bills.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=18883

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you sell counterfeit coins if you sell them as such?

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Can you sell counterfeit coins if you sell them as such?

NJ

This is not legal advice, But I'd Guess Yes
If you Had one & Sold it to a collector/Dealer
as such.

However if you advertised it on EBay,
or Had 10,000 You'd
probably have them confiscated

The plates would be cool too

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem, for us, is the law is written in such a way as to be vague. That way they can pick and choose who to prosecute.

I suppose Mr. Henning chose the Nickel due to the law mentioning "higher than 5 cents" but they got him on "intent to defraud" due to the quantity or if some of his coins were in fact already circulating.

I think finding one of those would really cool. :headbang: :headbang:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 25 > § 485

§ 485. Coins or bars

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or
Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States any false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may write to the U.S. mint for their take on this and see what they have to say...now I'm just curious.

NJ

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I may write to the U.S. mint for their take on this and see what they have to say...now I'm just curious.

NJ

CC the Secret Service as they are the enforcing agency for the laws under Section 18 of the US Code (part of which I posted above), which deals with counterfeit currency including but not limited to coins.

Of course, you risk them reading more into your inquiry than is really there. :-\

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DigginThePast said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

CC the Secret Service as they are the enforcing agency for the laws under Section 18 of the US Code (part of which I posted above), which deals with counterfeit currency including but not limited to coins.

Of course, you risk them reading more into your inquiry than is really there. :-\

Maybe I will attach a link to this thread...I don't want to be raided...lol. I'm going to do this from my home email. It would be embarrassing to get raided at work...hard to explain to the boss.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
DigginThePast said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

Maybe I will attach a link to this thread...I don't want to be raided...lol. I'm going to do this from my home email. It would be embarrassing to get raided at work...hard to explain to the boss.

Wait..........Let me delete my posts first. :laughing7: :laughing7:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DigginThePast said:
N.J.THer said:
DigginThePast said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

Wait..........Let me delete my posts first. :laughing7: :laughing7:

I would appreciate waiting until after I recover some of the 80K that are at the bottom of the creek down the road from my house before reaching out to them. I am serious about this.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay...for Neil I'll wait but if you find them I expect a couple for my collection.. :wink:

Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread