What's new

Counterweight???

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
4,065
Reaction score
3,043
Golden Thread
1
Location
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug at same mid 1800's house. Seems to be lead filled. Thought it migh be a counterweight to a scale. Any ideas on age or maker???
 

Attachments

  • What Is It (side) -004.webp
    What Is It (side) -004.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 334
  • What Is It (bottom) -004.webp
    What Is It (bottom) -004.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 311
I am guessing the end to a syringe for making sausage , I found one simliar at a house built in the late 1800's.
 
Upvote 0
Hi - How could it be used to make sausage as it's filled solid with lead??? Please post a pic of yours for ref. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • 1265768423-18209-0.webp
    1265768423-18209-0.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0
Hi IS - I guess I should weigh it and see if it's close to a fractional pound. It's got a solid core of lead and looks almost like a counterweight for a small scale. Thanks for your post!

IronSpike said:
I think the item is weight related. Not sure if it's big enough for window weight :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Now that's interesting! I could be, but it's a bit stubby...the bottom part is a little bigger than a quarter - maybe too big for a tamper (???) ... Interesting thought though.....I appreciate the insight!

jscorpio said:
This is just a WAG, but could it be a pipe tamper like the one in the link?

http://finds.org.uk/database/images/image/id/290239
 
Upvote 0
Erik in NJ said:
Now that's interesting! I could be, but it's a bit stubby...the bottom part is a little bigger than a quarter - maybe too big for a tamper (???) ... Interesting thought though.....I appreciate the insight!

jscorpio said:
This is just a WAG, but could it be a pipe tamper like the one in the link?

http://finds.org.uk/database/images/image/id/290239

I wondered about the diameter thing. Back to the drawing board I guess. :-\
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom