Couple Colonial Buttons and a Couple Old Coppers day. It was a button day.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site I dug the Colonial Marines buttons last week and decided to dig every low signal above foil, and even a few foil signals. Yesterday kind of reminded me of the famous copper trails up north. Well sorta......
Ended up with 2 more French Colonial Marines buttons. One has a very nice blue patina. The other is partly damaged, and smaller than the other 3 I have dug. Think I read some of these were made from a white metal.?? Maybe the blue-ish one is white metal?
It was sort of a button day. Ended up with a few more neat buttons. A Navy button that I think is probably more modern civilian.
Another civilian button with 3 raised leaf petals. It is 2 piece, but the shank makes me think its a little more modern i.e. late 1800s to early 1900s.
And one GS eagle 2 piece with a horstmann backmark. First I thought it was Civil War, but now im thinking Post CW. The eagle has that big turkey head look. I think people call these indian wars buttons.
Also dug a cool brass ring with heart and design on it and a super thin silver religious necklace charm. Any ideas on age?
An 1888 IHP, too bad its not the 1888 with the 7 over 8.
A very super thin colonial copper. I think this is a 2 Denier or Copper Double. I can barely make a face on the front and an outer ring on the back with some lettering. The reason im thinking 2 Denier is because my buddy dug a similar one last week. After he cleaned it up some he saw the outer ring on the back with the Fleur de Lis inside and the word DOVBLE on his. Mine looks very similar.
Any ideas how to further go about getting some details on this.?
Also got a few pieces of lead, brass nail, a skeleton key, a rivet, suspender clip, and some strange ring with clasp on it.
DSC03537.JPG DSC03540.JPG DSC03542.JPG DSC03543.JPG DSC03545.JPG DSC03546.JPG DSC03547.JPG DSC03548.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trade ring is your find of the hunt! Very nice. Does look like the coin is a Double Tournois. I recognize the bust, may be a French States type.

I'll be in touch soon. (p message)

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt PBR,
Love them buttons.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trade ring is your find of the hunt! Very nice. Does look like the coin is a Double Tournois. I recognize the bust, may be a French States type.

I'll be in touch soon. (p message)
Thanks Iron Patch. Didn't think about trade ring, that would be super cool. It reminded me of buckleboys civil war era double heart rings. I do like the trade ring idea much better.
Finally running out of high tones to cherry-pick and we are now digging more lower tones. We are starting find more buttons and coppers now.
Would love to know more about the copper. I also dug a larger one last hunt. Im guessing a 6 or 12 denier. Unfortunately it has that thick black crust on it and im not able to make much details on it. All I can see is a face outline.
Been hoping for some coppers from this site for quite a while, just wish they were in better shape. Still no sols.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch. Didn't think about trade ring, that would be super cool. It reminded me of buckleboys civil war era double heart rings. I do like the trade ring idea much better.
Finally running out of high tones to cherry-pick and we are now digging more lower tones. We are starting find more buttons and coppers now.
Would love to know more about the copper. I also dug a larger one last hunt. Im guessing a 6 or 12 denier. Unfortunately it has that thick black crust on it and im not able to make much details on it. All I can see is a face outline.
Been hoping for some coppers from this site for quite a while, just wish they were in better shape. Still no sols.

Such a great area, and just wait and see how many surprises come up with the lead... including lead bale seals. They have become a favorite thing for me to find, but a little too late now as we rarely hunt those type of sites anymore.

That ring is great. MUCH better than everything else you have shown.

I'll post the ID for the coin on in a bit, unless someone beats me to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dat is wickedjamminawesome man :occasion14:
Thanks Diamonddawg.
Nice hunt PBR,
Love them buttons.
Thanks Vino. That anchor button reminded me of yours. I was pretty excited for a moment when I dug it. That is until I saw the shank and no backmark.
I have to say I was most excited about the Marines buttons. The large one with the blue patina and full shank is my nicest one yet.
Was pretty neat finding that small one too. I was using 8k when I found it and it rang up as a 44 in the ground. when It came out it was hitting in the low 50s.
I started out using 12k at first, but I really like 8k, because its easier to distinguish the iron when looking at the numbers.
I have yet to master the deep targets with no ID. Almost everytime I go after a deepie with no ID, it turns out to be iron. :BangHead:

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a great area, and just wait and see how many surprises come up with the lead... including lead bale seals. They have become a favorite thing for me to find, but a little too late now as we rarely hunt those type of sites anymore.

That ring is great. MUCH better than everything else you have shown.

I'll out the ID for the coin on in a bit, unless someone beats me to it.
Thanks patch. This site has been awesome. Best site ever. We had some amazing hunts here. Its gona be sad when it stops producing.
We have dug some crazy lead items here, some of which you helped ID .:notworthy: Still no bale seals, but I know there is a ton more lead still in the ground. I actually didn't picture all of it this time. I think I did dig a lead trade weight a couple hunts ago.
The ring is definitely neat. Even more cool now that you mentioned its a trade ring. I don't have much experience with such items, and thought it was prob late 19th century.
Thanks for taking an interest. Here are some pics of the larger copper from last week beside yesterdays smaller one. I tried to thin the crust some, but still not much details.
At this angle I think I see a bust facing right. It looks like I see a forehead, nose and lips. I tried thinning the crust some, but it hasn't helped much. Its crazy that the 2 smaller ones we have dug seem to hold much more detail.
DSC03549.JPG DSC03550.JPG DSC03551.JPG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller one as I said I do recognize. What is the diameter of the larger one? It looks similar to the bust on a laird, but looks took big seeing it beside the other.... unless your small one is smaller than I realize and is a Denier Tournois or something similar.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller one as I said I do recognize. What is the diameter of the larger one? It looks similar to the bust on a laird, but looks took big seeing it beside the other.... unless your small one is smaller than I realize and is a Denier Tournois or something similar.
18mm on the little one and 22mm on the larger one.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18mm on the little one and 22mm on the larger one.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

ok, the larger one is a Liard. Looking into the smaller one now. Find a pic, it looks like the "N" is visible at about the 4 O'clock position on your coin.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Boy those are some early finds for North America as far as a timeline of European influence goes.
Your site seems to have it all!
I'm with IP, the trade ring is a very good find!
Go for those low tones and anything else that gives up a whisper, there's still some good stuff waiting for you!

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, the larger one is a Liard. Looking into the smaller one now. Find a pic, it looks like the "N" is visible at about the 4 O'clock position on your coin.
Thanks Iron Patch. I did see a Liard the other day online, and the diameters were similar. I was still unsure as my knowledge of early coppers is very limited.
I appreciate you help very much. Thanks again. :notworthy:
EDIT: Just read your last post. Couldn't keep up. Thank you for providing those pics. Ive got to do some reading and research now.
Thanks again.

Boy those are some early finds for North America as far as a timeline of European influence goes.
Your site seems to have it all!
I'm with IP, the trade ring is a very good find!
Go for those low tones and anything else that gives up a whisper, there's still some good stuff waiting for you!
Thanks Ironhorse. Its been a great site, and a place I have always wanted to get into. Dream come true.
Its hard to even want to goto my other sites, since I have been so spoiled from this place. 1800 & 1900's = 1800 & 1900'schmudreds, lol, j/k. I think im ruined. :laughing7:
Thanks for the confirmation on the Trade ring. pretty cool stuff.
I think we have gotten a lot of the gravy from this site. Now, like you mentioned we will have to start working the iron more, digging faint un-discernible tones, etc.
I agree, im sure there is more, its just going take some work, which I don't mind.

EDIT: ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET MORE DETAILS OUT OF THESE, OR SHOULD I JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE.
I KNOW THEYRE PRETTY TOASTED, BUT ID LOVE TO GET A LITTLE MORE DETAIL WITHOUT RUINING THEM.
THANKS YOU TWO HAVE BEEN ALOT OF HELP. :notworthy:

OH AND ANY IDEAS ON THE AGE OF THE TRADE RING? SORRY IM SUCH A PAIN IN THE @%#..

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks Iron Patch. I did see a Liard the other day online, and the diameters were similar. I was still unsure as my knowledge of early coppers is very limited.
I appreciate you help very much. Thanks again. :notworthy:
EDIT: Just read your last post. Couldn't keep up. Thank you for providing those pics. Ive got to do some reading and research now.
Thanks again.

Thanks Ironhorse. Its been a great site, and a place I have always wanted to get into. Dream come true.
Its hard to even want to goto my other sites, since I have been so spoiled from this place. 1800 & 1900's = 1800 & 1900'schmudreds, lol, j/k. I think im ruined. :laughing7:
Thanks for the confirmation on the Trade ring. pretty cool stuff.
I think we have gotten a lot of the gravy from this site. Now, like you mentioned we will have to start working the iron more, digging faint un-discernible tones, etc.
I agree, im sure there is more, its just going take some work, which I don't mind.

EDIT: ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET MORE DETAILS OUT OF THESE, OR SHOULD I JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE.
I KNOW THEYRE PRETTY TOASTED, BUT ID LOVE TO GET A LITTLE MORE DETAIL WITHOUT RUINING THEM.
THANKS YOU TWO HAVE BEEN ALOT OF HELP. :notworthy:

OH AND ANY IDEAS ON THE AGE OF THE TRADE RING? SORRY IM SUCH A PAIN IN THE @%#..

Not sure what your cleaning methods consist of; I'm not a proponent of heavy cleaning, I use mildest means possible. It won't hurt your coins to soak them in hydrogen peroxide, it will take away some of the crud and possibly enough to make an id on them

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what your cleaning methods consist of; I'm not a proponent of heavy cleaning, I use mildest means possible. It won't hurt your coins to soak them in hydrogen peroxide, it will take away some of the crud and possibly enough to make an id on them
Thanks ironhorse. I start out using buckleboys toothpicking method and then go from there. If that doesn't work Ive tried distilled water, warm peroxide, olive/mineral oil soak, and I just bought this stuff recently called Verdi care.
Most of my older coppers are pretty toasted. I have a tendency to clean it some and get some more details, then try a little more and end up removing some details.
Sometimes I just don't know when to stop.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread