Couple Colonial Buttons and a Couple Old Coppers day. It was a button day.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site I dug the Colonial Marines buttons last week and decided to dig every low signal above foil, and even a few foil signals. Yesterday kind of reminded me of the famous copper trails up north. Well sorta......
Ended up with 2 more French Colonial Marines buttons. One has a very nice blue patina. The other is partly damaged, and smaller than the other 3 I have dug. Think I read some of these were made from a white metal.?? Maybe the blue-ish one is white metal?
It was sort of a button day. Ended up with a few more neat buttons. A Navy button that I think is probably more modern civilian.
Another civilian button with 3 raised leaf petals. It is 2 piece, but the shank makes me think its a little more modern i.e. late 1800s to early 1900s.
And one GS eagle 2 piece with a horstmann backmark. First I thought it was Civil War, but now im thinking Post CW. The eagle has that big turkey head look. I think people call these indian wars buttons.
Also dug a cool brass ring with heart and design on it and a super thin silver religious necklace charm. Any ideas on age?
An 1888 IHP, too bad its not the 1888 with the 7 over 8.
A very super thin colonial copper. I think this is a 2 Denier or Copper Double. I can barely make a face on the front and an outer ring on the back with some lettering. The reason im thinking 2 Denier is because my buddy dug a similar one last week. After he cleaned it up some he saw the outer ring on the back with the Fleur de Lis inside and the word DOVBLE on his. Mine looks very similar.
Any ideas how to further go about getting some details on this.?
Also got a few pieces of lead, brass nail, a skeleton key, a rivet, suspender clip, and some strange ring with clasp on it.
DSC03537.JPG DSC03540.JPG DSC03542.JPG DSC03543.JPG DSC03545.JPG DSC03546.JPG DSC03547.JPG DSC03548.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ironhorse. I start out using buckleboys toothpicking method and then go from there. If that doesn't work Ive tried mineral water, warm peroxide, olive/mineral oil soak, and I just bought this stuff recently called Verdi care.
Most of my older coppers are pretty toasted. I have a tendency to clean it some and get some more details, then try a little more and end up removing some details.
Sometimes I just don't know when to stop.

The idea is to determine if the coin has corrosion, or if it's just the metal that's pitted, and cleaning will not help. Your coins look like the latter, and the flaking is a sign of this. Cleaning will not help, just make worse. Just think of it this way.... corrosion doesn't pit, so if your coins are pitted, that's the surface and not corrosion, so nothing you can do.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks ironhorse. I start out using buckleboys toothpicking method and then go from there. If that doesn't work Ive tried distilled water, warm peroxide, olive/mineral oil soak, and I just bought this stuff recently called Verdi care.
Most of my older coppers are pretty toasted. I have a tendency to clean it some and get some more details, then try a little more and end up removing some details.
Sometimes I just don't know when to stop.

I guess there's as many ways of cleaning coins out there as there are coins! Some just sound strange to me; I've heard people use the most outrageous methods imaginable such as ketchup and salt and vinegar, these as best kept for French fries!
From what I know Verdi care basically stops corrosion ,and oils just make coins greasy!
I'd just stick to water and peroxide if the coins were mine.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of relics PBR, that trade ring is the first I've seen. Any additional information on the age?
Thanks VMI. Not sure about the ring. After Iron Patch ID'd it as a trade ring I did a little search on heart shaped trade rings and found some stuff about the heart design being common with the Jesuit missionaries of the mid 17th century and early 18th cntury.
Supposedly they traded these rings with the local native peoples in their area.
Not sure what the XX means.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea is to determine if the coin has corrosion, or if it's just the metal that's pitted, and cleaning will not help. Your coins look like the latter, and the flaking is a sign of this. Cleaning will not help, just make worse. Just think of it this way.... corrosion doesn't pit, so if your coins are pitted, that's the surface and not corrosion, so nothing you can do.
Thanks for the Advice Iron Patch.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there's as many ways of cleaning coins out there as there are coins! Some just sound strange to me; I've heard people use the most outrageous methods imaginable such as ketchup and salt and vinegar, these as best kept for French fries!
From what I know Verdi care basically stops corrosion ,and oils just make coins greasy!
Thanks for the advice Iron horse.
I started using the Verdi care recently when some of my coppers and buttons started forming green spots.
The climate here can be quite corrosive.
The Verdi care also moisturizes the object in question and brings it back to life, esp if it has come in contact with peroxide, which tends to dry things out. It also dries and is not greasy like most oils.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button collection and a fine looking round ball.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks VMI. Not sure about the ring. After Iron Patch ID'd it as a trade ring I did a little search on heart shaped trade rings and found some stuff about the heart design being common with the Jesuit missionaries of the mid 17th century and early 18th cntury.
Supposedly they traded these rings with the local native peoples in their area.
Not sure what the XX means.

When I first saw the ring that's what I said in the head Jesuit Trade Ring! Killer find and still very dusty on the most wanted list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first the ring that's what I said in the head Jesuit Trade Ring! Killer find and still very dusty on the most wanted list.
Thanks Pepper. When searching earlier I found a few neat trade rings at this site. There are several there, but one has a heart on it.
HistoricalShop.com--Native American Items
The heart one is selling for $225. I wouldn't sell mine, but wow. I had no idea.
P.S. I like your new avatar.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I was in a store with Dave (ANTIQUARIAN) last week and the store keeper had three coins that an experienced detectorist sent to him to clean up, the owner of the store said he thought they might of been Blacksmith tokens. Dave inquired what did he use to clean them, Lemon juice, CLR, and a cocktail of something. These poor disks were burnt worse than Granny's hair coming out of the hair salon. The look that Dave gave me was priceless, if the eyes could talk.

Thanks Pepper. When searching earlier I found a few neat trade rings at this site. There are several there, but one has a heart on it.
HistoricalShop.com--Native American Items
The heart one is selling for $225. I wouldn't sell mine, but wow. I had no idea.
P.S. I like your new avatar.

PBR your ring out shines that one for 2 1/4 totally, so put a whole lot of upside to yours.

Thanks for the nod on the avatar, thought it would be the only place that it will be remembered. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread