What's new

Couple fossils.

choo

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
833
Reaction score
2,489
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these fossils in the creek I was hunting for indian artifacts but found these , can anyone tell me what I found ?
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0149.webp
    DSCF0149.webp
    30 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF0150.webp
    DSCF0150.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF0151.webp
    DSCF0151.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF0153.webp
    DSCF0153.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF0154.webp
    DSCF0154.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 121
The small one appears to be the internal mould of a gastropod, and the large one likely is favrosities, a horn coral. If you know someone that has a small rock saw, the horn coral cut down the long axis and polished would show stunning detail of tiny chambers.

Merlin

'Moonrover' is probably correct about the spiral form.

Favosites, if that is the reference, is a "honeycomb coral." Coralla of this genus typically form dome structures that my reach a meter or more in diameter.

The plump object seems to be a solitary rugose coral. I have never seen one cut down the long axis, but they are commonly cross-sectioned for identification purposes.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom