Couple more little finds from the oval

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Hey hey fellow treasure hunters, got a little time tonight to go hunt and came up with these. And a 1905 IH penny that is cleaning. Boy am I glad that bullet didnt go off while digging it. I was wondering about the age of it though, its a rimfire, and may have 11 on the bottom, hard to tell. And I have found a few of these little pipe looking things. They are about two inches long, and hollow and made of brass. I cant seem to figure them out. And the button I was also trying to figure an age. Maybe you smart wonderful people can figure this one out for me as well. Happy hunting all, L8R

Attachments

• bullet.JPG
    bullet.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 284
  • STA60064.JPG
    STA60064.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 279
  • STA60065.JPG
    STA60065.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 269
  • STA60066.JPG
    STA60066.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 277
  • button.JPG
    button.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 275

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
1. 22 round.

2. No idea.

3. Underwear button...? Maybe long-johns or trapdoors... ? Could be trouser buttons or maybe from a pair of gloves? Stable frock? I know late 1800 Engineers corps wore coveralls...??

Age? I can only tell you that the original military reservation was purchased by the Federal Government on Dec.30, 1814 and consisting of only 200 acres. The base stayed occupied until 1995 when the BRAC closed Plattsburg AFB. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattsburgh_Air_Force_Base#American_Military_Forces_at_Plattsburgh

Upvote 0

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
The pipe thing is just that...A homemade Marijuana pipe if you ask me. I have seen several in my days...(i do not personally use said substances).....would be my best guess though. I am thinking there should be a screen in there and the hole on the bottom is the carb.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
outraged said:
The pipe thing is just that...A homemade Marijuana pipe if you ask me. I have seen several in my days...(i do not personally use said substances).....would be my best guess though. I am thinking there should be a screen in there and the hole on the bottom is the carb.

I agree that it certainly could be... But um... I remember them being fatter and smaller. Seems like you couldnt fit too much weed tobacco in one of those... I will admit that it was also the first thing I thought of.

Upvote 0

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
Montana Jim said:
outraged said:

I agree that it certainly could be... But um... I remember them being fatter and smaller. Seems like you couldnt fit too much weed tobacco in one of those... I will admit that it was also the first thing I thought of.
these arent pipes dope pipes wouldnt have the carb hole rightunder the bowl you would burn your fingers they look like some thing else to me

Upvote 0

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
About those pipes....relic hunters find similar items quite often at Civil war sites. They might be friction primers,used to fire cannons of the day. The "stem" was placed into the touch hole and a lanyard was attached to the loop. A pull on the lanyard pulled the wire out which,like striking a match,started the ignition which,in turn,fired the cannon.

Attachments

• A1989B[1].jpg
    A1989B[1].jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
junkdigger said:
About those pipes....relic hunters find similar items quite often at Civil war sites. They might be friction primers,used to fire cannons of the day. The "stem" was placed into the touch hole and a lanyard was attached to the loop. A pull on the lanyard pulled the wire out which,like striking a match,started the ignition which,in turn,fired the cannon.

Nice !!

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, those are friction primers for cannons...d2

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and if your cannon misfired, you could smoke some dope while you were waiting for the enemy to come and capture you! ;D DOH!! LOL, Stupid response but it just struck me funny. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIRTSWEEPER

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Thank you once again, yep thats what I have found. This forum is GREAT !!!! Thanks again. L8R

HOWLOW

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIRTSWEEPER

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
I found the primers at around three inches, found hem in little patches. L8R

HOWLOW