fishing hook sizes

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
question. im going to be purchasing some hooks for surf shark fishing. before i got some 14/0 hooks. i want bigger hooks. ive seen the 16/0 is bigger than my 14/0 hooks, its like gauges right? but the oposit? how do they measure in inches? or do they? the very confusing. i dont understand this system. any one wanna teach me?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an English system of measurement and is therefor incomprehensible. Based on the width's of the King's left nostril in 1211 or some such. I was going to send you the Mustad link, but you got it on your own.

Nothing to do with inches, as each of the 24 or so styles have different shank lengths (and "X" designations within styles for the shanks even then).

I've tied flies down to #28 (which I can't even thread onto the tippet now) and 2/0 is as large as I use for bass. 16/0 is beyond my ability to grasp.

It's easier to fool a bigger fish with a smaller hook than the opposite.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Charlie P. (NY) said:
It's easier to fool a bigger fish with a smaller hook than the opposite.

i agree. what i have learned about surf fishing is that a smaller hook works better for me. ( for surf fishing).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
hey hollow what part of the country do you surf fish? me, im from new mexico

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Before you get the great big hook and put a sliced and bleeding whole fish on it, you may want to find out if there are any protected species of sharks in the area. In some area, it is illegal to even beach certain species of sharks. You must cut your line before they come ashore.

Whatever size hooks you decide on, make sure they are "circle hooks." They are designed to roll to the side of the mouth before setting and are now required in most, if not all, fishing tournaments.

I assume you already have your gear. If not don't buy the cheap stuff. A 300 pound shark will turn you stuff into junk in a heartbeat.

Have fun and good luck.

Daryl

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the x is used for heavy duty hooks its thicker heavier duty wire as in two xx or three xxx heavier and heavier duty ---you can get forged hooks too ---very strong and tough but not cheap. once you get in the /0 range of hooks the bigger the number the bigger the hook---get good hooks and gear ---big sharks will trash cheap gear----big penn reels are nice and a stout rod of course too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions