Couple of firsts today... including a key date coin

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
It seems I never get out metal detecting anymore. I live in northern California, and I haven't been detecting in at least a year near home. The only time I seem to detect anymore is during our annual summer vacation in Cape Cod where I love to water detect with my Minelab Excalibur, and when my family vacations at my wife's folks' home in Michigan.

Cape Cod is coming up at the end of July, and I hope to have some nice jewelery finds to post up like I did last summer when I found a man's platinum wedding band and a nice 14K crucifix ring.

We are in Michigan this week, and my in-laws have a mid 1800's farm house on 20 acres. I've hammered the yard and surrounding area pretty hard over the past 10 years during vacations here, as has my father-in-law, and now my nephew. While a coin or two still pop out each year, they are getting very few and far between, so we went looking for a new place to detect this week. Well, we found it! We were driving to visit my wife's sister in another town on Tuesday, and on the way we saw a very old (I need to research it to determine how old) estate house on an upscale street that is being remodeled into an office building, and the surrounding property which takes up about the whole block is being re-landscaped. We turned the car around and talked with the foreman on the job who gladly granted us permission to come back to detect the grounds as long as we stay clear of the heavy equipment. They had already moved a lot of dirt around, and scraped off a lot of the existing topsoil.

We had a couple of ours this morning to hit this new spot, so my father-in-law and I got up real early and drove the 30 minutes to the property. We got there about 6:30am so that we'd have an hour or so before any workers showed up.

I was really pleased with my finds for the couple of hours that we detected this morning...

finds7-2-2008.jpg

In addition to the 7 modern clad coins, I found 6 wheat cents - 1917, 1918, 1942 (2), and 2 unidentifiable dates.

I also found a really cool, and heavy Junior Police badge. Unfortunately, the top part with the eagle was broken off of the badge when I found it, but I went back over the hole, and what do you know - I found the eagle!

badge.jpg

Now for the two firsts for me. The first, is a crotal bell. At least I believe this is a "crotal bell". I have been reading about people finding them for years in my W&E Treasures magazines, and always hoped to find one. This one is small, but has a nice design on it. After I cleaned out all of the dirt, the little ball inside came loose and the bell rings again after all of those years in the ground.

bell.jpg

And the second first for me, and the best find of the morning, was a key date coin. I have never found a key date coin before, and didn't even realize I had found one until I got back to the house and looked it up in the coin book. It was the only indian head that we found today, but it turned out to be a 1908. When I looked it up in the coin book, I saw that the 1908 was not so special, but the 1908-S seemed to be a pretty good coin, so I turned mine over, and sure enough, there was the S staring back at me. It seems to be in pretty nice condition too. If anyone knows anything about how to grade a coin, please let me know what you think this one might grade at if you can see the detail well enough in the pictures...

indianheadfront.jpg

indianheadback.jpg

We did not find any silver in the couple of hours of detecting this morning. My father-in-law found a handful of coins, mostly clad, but had two wheaties.

I have two more days here in Michigan where I can hit this property, and I am sure my father-in-law will continue to hit it as long as he can before it gets re-landscaped. We are pretty bummed out tonight, though, as it has been storming hard and pouring for the past five hours or so. I just hope it lets up by morning.

I will post again tomorrow or Friday when we have the chance to get back to the property to detect some more to let you know what else we find.

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Re: Couple of firsts today...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am detecting with a brand new Whites DFX 300 that I had shipped straight to Michigan so that I'll have a detector here waiting for me each time we get back here for vacations at the in-laws. We come back at least twice a year for 10 days to 2 weeks each trip.

I haven't detected with a White's for some time now. I have an older Eagle Spectrum back in California, but I have a much newer Minelab that I had been using the past couple of years, and then I have the Excaliburs for water detecting.

I feel like such a novice with a maching like the DFX, and even though I try using some of the available features and have tried a couple of the recommended programs found here at Treasurenet.com, I always end up back at the preset programs with only one or two minor tweaks. I like the VCO option. I've also tried the Tone ID option around my father-in-law's farmhouse this week, and that seemed ok. But I didn't use the tone ID at the new spot I talk about in the post above.

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrat's on getting out to hunt. Good luck on many more to come. :D

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cool finds and excellent IH. I'd say that is a solid very fine and without the green patina would easily be worth a hundred bucks. However, since it is a dug coin and has the green patina, it would grade lower, but I don't know how much. Wouldn't matter to me. It looks great and I love the green patina.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's been on my wish list for years, great find.
Carl

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's close to EF in my opinion, wish the photos were a little better. But . . . if you were to get it graded (slabbed), they would give it an Fine-35 but add that it has "Evironmental Damage". Unless you can VERY carefully clean it with water and a soft tooth brush, do not rub on that coin with your fingers whatsoever, micro scratches will appear under magnification. If it were mine I would try soaking it in warm water for a day or so, then using a very soft brush to delicately remove any dirt. If it cleans up nice, it is worth at least $100.00. But since it's not mine, to avoid liability (or a guilty conscious), my advice is do not try to clean it.

Congratulations on a couple nice finds! :thumbsup: BTW: I collect Junior Fire and Police badges so that find would really make my day as well.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey, great finds! I like that Indian - haven't found my first one yet.

I know what you mean about the DFX. I'm sure there are a lot of seasoned pro's with them on the forum that know them inside & out, but I just switched to the DFX from a Bounty Hunter and I'm in the same boat you are with all the settings available. It's a lot to take in.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
AWESOME INJUN! My ANACS grading book says AU 58 (without the verdigris) :(. Crotal bells, we find alot of them here in the Detroit parks, Namely, Rouge Park. I have about 10 of them. In the lower areas of this park, there used to be farms and their only mode of transportation in the 1800's was by horse or sleigh, so naturally they put gangs of bells on their horses, and apparently they lost quite a few bells. Anyway, Congratulations on the finds.....Not GE

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would definitely grade EF-AU 50.(my prediction) At ANACS,(I would only send this coin here with 5 coin minimum submission), would come back as "corroded" which would probably knock value down 25%. Your looking at $150+ coin. It's only worth what someone will give you for it, but I see no problem getting 150 AFTER grading.(my prediction) Nice find! :thumbsup: HOGGE P.S.-- I have an 1893 in as good condition or slightly better that I am sending in to ANACS myself, to fill my 5 coin minimum order. GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Do you ever get nervous shipping off your coins to be graded? Has anyone ever had any problems not getting their coins back, or not getting the same coin back, or having them just get lost in the mail?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
Do you ever get nervous shipping off your coins to be graded? Has anyone ever had any problems not getting their coins back, or not getting the same coin back, or having them just get lost in the mail?
NEVER had a problem and have dealt with PCGS and ANACS. Found that ANACS will grade problem coins and dug coins. Go with them. HOGGE

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically speaking, its probably a 'rumbler' bell as the crotal bells were earlier & cast in one piece. The rumber was cast in two with the top loop added afterwards.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Finding wheat pennies is sure fun! So far I have found 1 with my Minelab Explorer SE. That Junior police badge is really awesome too! To bad the eagle was broken off. You should superglue the eagle back on or it might ruin the value. I do not know though. Glad you had a wonderfull time! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread