Couple of questions about knapping

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I have been very interested in how artifacts were made. I'm hoping to learn a lot more about artifacts by learning how to knap them. I am as green as the grass when it comes to knapping. A friend of mine set me up with a few hammerstones, an antler billet, a pressure flaker, an abraider, and a few other accessories. What would be the best type of material to work with while learning the basics? Anybody have any advice on getting started? I know I am a long, long way from the making of Dovetails and Lost Lakes. ;D I've heard that I will need to learn a good deal of patience! I'm hoping that learning to knap will give me a little insight into how and why the ancients made certain artifacts a certain way. My buddy said that a lot of it is angles. He said that if you can learn the angles and where to hit the material, you will be well on your way to making really nice points.

Brian

Upvote 0

BobTheBaitFish

Jul 13, 2007
Highland, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett CXII
I already posted something similar on this board, so I appologize if this is redundant.

Novaculite is a great material to start with. Make sure it's already been heat treated when you buy it. If you buy flakes you can start pressure flaking small arrowpoints and get to know the basics without having to master harder aspects like spaling and percussion flaking to produce bifaces.

Once you get some flakes, just remember it's all about platform preparation. If the edge you're about to apply pressure to is too thin it will crush. So grind, crush and abrade the edge of the flake until they are in a basic arrowhead shape and are thick enough to not crush when you try to push off flakes. Follow through with steady pressure. Watch your angle. Flakes terminating prematurely leaving you with a hinge fracture lets you know you're doing something wrong. Watch where you are applying the pressure, make sure you're aways applying it to the edge of the piece. Support the edge being flaked on a leather pad against your palm, otherwise your piece will break.

I've never ordered from these places but they appear to have material for sale.
http://neolithics.com/flakes1.html
http://nativeway.safewebshop.com/heated_arkansas_novaculite.html

A good flintknapping book can answer alot of your questions. I personally perfer Whittaker's book, but that's personal opinion. Most people I know prefer Waldorf book.

Making and Understanding Stone Tools
by John C. Whittaker

The Art of Flint Knapping
by D.C. Waldorf

Self study tends to get people only so far. Most can learn the basics but for many it often takes a good mentor, class, or knap in experience to take things to a higher level.

Good luck.

Mike

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three rivers archery has a kit.That comes everything you need to get started.

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Thanks for the posts! I've definitely got a lot to learn. I'll check out the links and books. It is definitely an art!

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions