Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586043993.738349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586044012.774324.jpg

He found this by the river, I thought my mom had the same pattern China but she says it’s close but not it. He thinks it may be an urn but I suspect it’s just a dish of some sort, i thought I’d throw it out to you guys while look into it other ways

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's a Chinese 'ginger jar' and the decoration is mountain hawthorn (Chinese hawberry) flowers and fruits.

The question is, how old is it? Probably not very old. Looks like export-ware from probably sometime between the late 1800s and early 1900s but that 's just a guess. They're still making them today. We need marks from the bottom. If it doesn't have any then that's a bad sign and it was likely bulk-exported for generic sale in department stores and probably just had an adhesive foil sticker at one time.

If it does have a proper porcelain mark, that may enable it to be narrowed down a bit but I'm anticipating it won't be ancient or valuable I'm afraid.

EDIT: Thanks @nhbenz... beat me to it while I was gathering my thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No marks on bottom,
Great I’d haha you beat me to it while I was eating dinner. I was just going to post my results
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586048054.166164.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586048070.304107.jpg

I’ve seen vintage 70’s or 90’s one said ikea others Chinese one in the pic had the most detailed description saying Japanese

He was afraid to open it haha. I think he’ll be ok

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I could mark solved on the mobile app... if there’s a way I can’t find it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread