Crater Lake Oregon

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
We took the kids down to Crater Lake a couple weeks ago- thought you all might enjoy this panorama I made today from some of the pics- it sure is a beautiful place! :) Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the US and is glacial fed. At one time, this mountain was 12,000 feet in elevation. A deep pocket formed in the center of the mountain, as it was an active volcano. After venting, it left an empty pocket and the mountain collapsed in on itself. The top 5000 feet just dropped into the pocket. It is now just over 7000 feet elevation and one gorgeous lake, about 1900 feet deep at its deepest.

Attachments

• Crater Lake2.jpg
    Crater Lake2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 625

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
One of Oregon's great masterpieces. Did you know the people who found it were looking for a lost mine at the time?

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Found this link regarding the discovery, and while it's disputable (I have my reservations) most of the facts are there, with a little embellishment ;) http://www.craterlakeinstitute.com/online-library/historic-resource-study/3a.htm

hey thanks Ron- it did take a bit to get all 8 pics lined up good, but i think it came out ok :) If you look close, near the center you can still see a couple of color changes. I'd really like to get this one printed out a little larger than 8 1/2x11 LOL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pic Jeffro :thumbsup:

Good to see you back too :coffee2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I bet you do, txconservative.

Did you know that Oregon had it's first 90 degree day of the summer yesterday? Doesn't that water look cool and inviting? Bad thing is that really is snow along the sides. And the shock of the cold water on warm skin would cause hypothermia quickly. Even people swimming in the Clackamas River are having a hard time staying afloat. We have fatalities nearly every year.

Mt. Mazama (the moutain where Crater Lake is at) actually had an explosive eruption followed by something like a massive explosion from water that reached the lava layer underneath. Most of the force was funnelled upwards. Wizard Island, the small volcanic cone in the middle of the lake, was formed in a later eruption. Similar to the big central dome in Mt. St. Helens now. The Cascades Mountains are noted for this typical explosive eruption/slow mountain re-forming. The ash plume from Mazama was carried over much of the Western US, and was similar to the lehar which caused most of the devastation on Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

Many years ago, learned that the further east in the Cascade Range you go, the older the volcanoes, and the less likely there is to have further volcanic activity.

OTOH, I live near the bottom of Mount Tabor, the only dormant volcano within a major metropolitan area in the United States. What St. Helens looked like before 1980 is what Mount Tabor will likely look like sometime in the future. When it goes, like Harry Truman at Spirit Lake, I will be toast. Mt. St. Helens is about 35 miles NNE of me right now.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey thank you all for the kind comments. The water that day was a chilly 38 degrees if I remember correctly. This picture shows how clear the water is.... there was no filter on my camera at all and it hasn't been retouched other than to downsize it for loading here.

Attachments

• Crater Lake 106.jpg
    Crater Lake 106.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 469
F

Felinepeachy

Thats the first time I've ever seen Crater Lake. Stunning!!! :notworthy:

Hi Jeffro
phil_45.gif

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Here is a Crater Lake Web Cam

http://www.nps.gov/crla/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm#

Its depth of 1,943 feet (592 meters) makes it the deepest lake in the United States, and the seventh deepest in the world. Its fresh water is some of the clearest found anywhere in the world.

Chukers

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is the fishing there? Is there an easy way to get down to the water?

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
lookindown said:
How is the fishing there? Is there an easy way to get down to the water?

Back in the 30's they stocked this lake with 5 or 6 varieties, all that remains are a couple different species of trout and Kokanie I think. They are not native and nowadays they encourage catching them. No license required, no limits on catch either. However it is rare to see one taken, as they tend to hang out in one particular area of the lake that has access, and of course that's where people go swimming, so the fish scatter once the swimming starts. The ranger there told me that he hasn't seen a fish taken so far this year.

On the upside, if you are an avid fisherman I'd imagine the one's caught from here would be very hardy and well worth the effort. Definitely challenging ;)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pics, good job!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics! I was just wondering, are there many places on the lake where you can get to by car? I was there when I was a kid, and of course we came by car, so was wondering if you took the pic from the same place that I was at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread