Crazy day detecting-ever detected a horse?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting in perfect weather. One of our better roman sites is harvested. Stubbles are quite high but options are still rare so we gave it a try. I did 7 hours with some nice finds. I thought a stunning Follis was the best find. In the last row i came over a pretty deep signal and decided to dig. At 10 or 12" the shovel hit.....bones. Horse bones. Ribs also turned up. Signal still in the hole. I dug deeper and recovered a rusted military storm lantern. More still in the hole. A tube tooth paste(?) and a bottle with cork turned up. Thats when i called the farmer. He came over and we had a good laugh. Probably a military horse from WWII dozed into a shell hole during war and the deep plow last year brought the bones up. The farmer will dig with his equipment as soon as he has the time. Maybe some other things were thrown into the crater too.

Bones and the bottle
19175878ag.jpg

19176713yg.jpg

Trash
19175881ss.jpg

Roman pottery
19175879ce.jpg

19175880ko.jpg

Nails
19175882xq.jpg

Musket balls
19175883iq.jpg

Modern relics
19175884sg.jpg

Coins and token
19175885ic.jpg

Medieval belt clasp
19176708ex.jpg

Roman finds with a clay(?) hand and a piece blue glass
19176709of.jpg

19176710od.jpg

Follis with a never seen reverse in perfect condition for a field find, thanks deep plow!
19176711iw.jpg

19176712fh.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7
Hey Westfront!! Looks as if you Hammered them today!! Neat Finds!! CONGRATS!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Haha! I've had the same problem with a horse. Dug a horse and found the buckle for horse tack! Nice finds!

Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

I may have had the odd horse bone, but not half the horse!

The evidence (Roman wise), would make me think more coins/finds. Still not a blank & a good days work.:thumbsup:

ID:

You will have realised either a Magnentius or Decentius Centenionalis from AD 351-352. Although, a straightforward ID is not possible as the MAG or DEC letters are missing and those clearly shown are common to both rulers. However the defining aspects are the position of the T and presence of a P on the Obv and with a P on the Reverse I guess Trier. Therefore, my view is that this is a late AD351 RIC Vol VIII page 162 Trier 306 or 310 of MAGNENTIUS depending on size & weight.

Obv: [DN MAGN]EN-TIVS P[F AVG] with A behind Bust
Rev ; [VICTOR]IAE DD NN AVG ET CAE. Two victories facing holding a wreath inscribed VOT/V/MVLT/X supported on a short column.
In exergue: GUESS: [TR]P for Trier

A full Trier 306 would be about 21-22mm wt 4.59gm whilst a 310 would be 15-16 mm wt 2.00gm.
Cru'dad

I may have had the odd horse bone, but not half the horse!

The evidence (Roman wise), would make me think more coins/finds. Still not a blank & a good days work.:thumbsup:

Stubble was quite high and this site doesn't produce lots of finds anyway. I don't know why, at least some really good finds turned up there over the years. This site is more quality over quantity.

ID:

You will have realised either a Magnentius or Decentius Centenionalis from AD 351-352. Although, a straightforward ID is not possible as the MAG or DEC letters are missing and those clearly shown are common to both rulers. However the defining aspects are the position of the T and presence of a P on the Obv and with a P on the Reverse I guess Trier. Therefore, my view is that this is a late AD351 RIC Vol VIII page 162 Trier 306 or 310 of MAGNENTIUS depending on size & weight.

Obv: [DN MAGN]EN-TIVS P[F AVG] with A behind Bust
Rev ; [VICTOR]IAE DD NN AVG ET CAE. Two victories facing holding a wreath inscribed VOT/V/MVLT/X supported on a short column.
In exergue: GUESS: [TR]P for Trier

A full Trier 306 would be about 21-22mm wt 4.59gm whilst a 310 would be 15-16 mm wt 2.00gm.
Cru'dad

Special thanks to Crudad for the ID. Trier is the most common mint for late period coins here, but the weight is a bit weird. It matches the 21/22mm diameter with a weight of exactly 3gm. Lightest Maiorina i found is 3,4gm, the Demi-Maiorina is a bit more than 2gm. :dontknow: Is it now a Centenionalis or a Maiorina?

Last edited:
The funny thing is, some of your "Modern Relics" are almost as old as it gets in the US, Congrats!

Nice Roman, Fine detail after all that time.

Nice score again Lu. That Roman coin has some of the best detail I've seen on here. Were the tiles burnt or just painted (?) dark? How about some GOLD next trip?

Nice score again Lu. That Roman coin has some of the best detail I've seen on here. Were the tiles burnt or just painted (?) dark? How about some GOLD next trip?

Hi Tim! :hello: Yes, it's a real beauty, i had a look and it is the best Roman Bronze i have, condition wise. The pics show a lot different roman pottery. In the lower pic is better tableware, red Terra Sigillata on top and decorated blue/black coated shards. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back