Crazy Hunt: 1954-S GW Carver Half Dollar and 1823 Large Cent!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I took a break from raking leaves and went for a hunt at a schoolyard I hadn't been to before. I know this place has been detected by others in the past, but figured it was worth a try anyway.

The hunt got off to a slow start, with a few pieces of clad and lots of junk (especially flattened soda cans). I was working my way around a neglected baseball field when I got yet another high tone (a solid 35 on my Nox). I was sure it was yet another aluminum can, but I reluctantly dug it anyway.

It wasn't a can. I dug about three inches down and to my surprise I uncovered a large silver coin, and incredibly it was encased in a plastic Airtite coin holder.

GW Carver Half - In the Dirt.jpg

The coin holder was full of condensation, so at first I couldn't see the coin clearly. With some effort I opened it and saw that I had found a silver 1954-S George Washington Carver commemorative half dollar - a definite first for me, and about the last thing I was expecting to find today. I guess some poor kid must have lost a piece of his dad's coin collection!

GW Carver Half - Both Sides.jpg

I spent a few more hours hunting the schoolyard, finding the usual clad and more junk. I was about to call it a day when I hit another penny tone beside the ball field. I assumed it was yet another Lincoln Memorial cent - I hadn't found any older coins so far, not even a wheat cent.

It wasn't a Lincoln Memorial cent. About six inches down out popped a green and toasty copper.

1823 Matron Head LC - In the Hole.jpg

When I got home I gave it a light brushing with a dry toothbrush, which revealed that the coin is an 1823 Matron Head large cent.

1823 Matron Head LC - Both Sides.jpg

I had a blast today - the weather was beautiful, and I made some unexpected cool finds, my best detecting day of the year (so far)!

All Finds - GW Carver Half & 1823 LC.jpg

Thanks for looking - good luck & HH!

Upvote 19

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds!! Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I took a break from raking leaves and went for a hunt at a schoolyard I hadn't been to before. I know this place has been detected by others in the past, but figured it was worth a try anyway.

The hunt got off to a slow start, with a few pieces of clad and lots of junk (especially flattened soda cans). I was working my way around a neglected baseball field when I got yet another high tone (a solid 35 on my Nox). I was sure it was yet another aluminum can, but I reluctantly dug it anyway.

It wasn't a can. I dug about three inches down and to my surprise I uncovered a large silver coin, and incredibly it was encased in a plastic Airtite coin holder.

View attachment 2053966

The coin holder was full of condensation, so at first I couldn't see the coin clearly. With some effort I opened it and saw that I had found a silver 1954-S George Washington Carver commemorative half dollar - a definite first for me, and about the last thing I was expecting to find today. I guess some poor kid must have lost a piece of his dad's coin collection!

View attachment 2053965

I spent a few more hours hunting the schoolyard, finding the usual clad and more junk. I was about to call it a day when I hit another penny tone beside the ball field. I assumed it was yet another Lincoln Memorial cent - I hadn't found any older coins so far, not even a wheat cent.

It wasn't a Lincoln Memorial cent. About six inches down out popped a green and toasty copper.

View attachment 2053963

When I got home I gave it a light brushing with a dry toothbrush, which revealed that the coin is an 1823 Matron Head large cent.

View attachment 2053962

I had a blast today - the weather was beautiful, and I made some unexpected cool finds, my best detecting day of the year (so far)!

View attachment 2053964

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2053966

View attachment 2053965

View attachment 2053963

View attachment 2053962

View attachment 2053964

My goodness! I never even knew this coin existed until today! This is literally the first time I’ve ever seen that half dollar. Amazing, and congratulations on finding one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread