What's new

Creek finds 12/27/2010......(Paleo point)

creekwalker

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
47
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iuka, Ms
After a brief break for the holidays, I got back out on the hunt yesterday. I decided to jump into an old stomping ground that I hadn't been to in about three years. I had been walking for only 25- 30 minutes when I came across this awesome Paleo Stemmed Lanceolate. (At first glance, I thought it was an Adena culture point, but upon examining it further, feeling the smoothness of this relic, I realized that it was much, much older than that). Right now it's just a guess, but this could very well be a something related to a Stringtown (transitional paleo). Think Eden/Scottsbluff/Cody Complex time frame. It is 2 3/8" long and is made from a super cool material with nice patina on it. (when cleaned, it turned out to be a gorgeous oolithic-looking flint). The whole piece is well made and is ground from the bottom of the base, all the way to the tip. Even both faces are ground and smooth. It is fluted almost 1/2 of the way up on one side. You're looking at a piece about 8000-9000 years old, possibly even older! All in all, a beautiful experience. This thing I do brings me great joy. To me, that is the greatest treasure! -Creekwalker
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0002-1.webp
    DSCF0002-1.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,092
  • DSCF0009-1.webp
    DSCF0009-1.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • DSCF0013-1.webp
    DSCF0013-1.webp
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • DSCF0014-1.webp
    DSCF0014-1.webp
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,078
  • DSCF0015.webp
    DSCF0015.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • DSCF0035.webp
    DSCF0035.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 636
  • DSCF0042.webp
    DSCF0042.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 645
  • DSCF0053.webp
    DSCF0053.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCF0054.webp
    DSCF0054.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 616
Upvote 0
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

You really have a good eye for those points, congrats for your effort! I have never found a point after many hours on the German fields, just a few shards of stone chips. HH and I enjoy your posts, Mike
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Good finds!
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Bavaria Mike said:
You really have a good eye for those points, congrats for your effort! I have never found a point after many hours on the German fields, just a few shards of stone chips. HH and I enjoy your posts, Mike

When i was a kid i found several pieces made of flint. No points but some scraper/knife thingies. Unfortunately all were lost somewhere in a box in their house.
I dont know if there is much flint down in bavaria. In the german/netherland/belgium triangle was a real industry for tools made from flint. We have lots of it here.
But i never got something on the fields during detecting too....
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Wonderful! I really love seeing the collection of points as it grows! It makes me wonder what's in the woods that you are unable to find due to overgrowth....keep posting the fodos....
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

You definitely have the eye for finding those points. Great finds, I look forward to reading future post.
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Way to spot those points in the water man! :o
If that was me trying to find those . . . I'd have a splitting headache within 1/2 an hour! :laughing7:
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Nice points, i can only hope to be able to find and know the different types of points,You are an inspiration to us all :icon_sunny:,we are expecting rain this Friday,So I will be going back to where i found my last points,hope to find more...Never thought about looking in the creeks before,seems to work well for you!Keep them coming,Dave
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

Im glad you are finding all those awsome points,because you share them with us on t-net.
Thanks Creekwalker :icon_thumleft:I have bought several points from tag sales in the past,
now the local first nations are trying to recover their heritage..............K.KID.
 
What a beauty. Congratulations!
 
creekwalker, all i can say is you are the man.

OK, there is more.

You are a very wise man, many could learn from you.

Good luck in all you do.

Thanks for showing us your finds and your wisdom.
 
I have looked for points several time in my 65 years. I have never found one. I can only imagine what life for the person that lost it must have been like. Truely an awesome piece of history you hold there....John
 
Re: Creek finds 12/27/2010......

CRUSADER said:
If I ever visit the US or Canada, this is what I would love to try :headbang:

If you're on the Canadian east coast let me know and I'll set you up!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom