What's new

Crescent shaped adornment piece?

Ironman!

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
382
Reaction score
310
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on the "What Is It" forum with no avail. Big Cypresshunter recommended I try this forum. So here goes Big Cy!

This is one of my latest finds "out west" lying on top of the ground as I came upon it. It is made out of thin stamped brass and tin of all things. It has two eyes, one on each side as if it were hung. Maybe worn by a woman as an adornment? The site I found it from is dead on 1870's. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The pic. on the top right is it lying on the ground as I found it. The other two of course are front and back views and then a pic. for size comparison.

Thank You in advance,
IM
 

Attachments

  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 002v.webp
    002v.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
if adornment it looks africanish, i wonder if it could be a pc off of some old equiptment ...i dunno , cool find though hopefully someone will recognize what that is for you.
 
I've seen jewelers call such a thing a "moon gorget", put on a necklace. Neat find!
 
That would be very cool if it was something like that, but unfortunately this came out of the desert in the "old west".
Thanks for researching for me you guys!

IM

Ironman!, that just makes it later in time. It's still most likely a moon gorget belonging to a Native American, just more likely 19th century, and a very cool find!
 
Ironman!, that just makes it later in time. It's still most likely a moon gorget belonging to a Native American, just more likely 19th century, and a very cool find!

Ok, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the insight Carl!

Here is a pic. of the brass part from another one I found at another site, near where I found the other whole piece.
002z.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom