CRH with under $1000 cash

Yougot

Feb 25, 2011
So, my current situation is my old landlord bailed after foreclosing our rental on us, taking the security deposit with him.

This part is me complaining, has nothing to do with the topic (Ignore if you want):

The new buyers of the house (a bank) claim that we do not owe them anything, and the lawyer I talked to says that they have enough of a case to make legal pursuit a coin flip. A coin flip that would cost me over 5 grand if I lose, 2-4 grand (split between 3 people) if I win. With moving into a new place and putting up another deposit, I have run low on cash.

Then my car got hit while parked, no note, $800 repair estimate
Then my laptop broke, no way to recover it
Then my TV broke, they said it was the bulb, I paid $100 to buy a new one only to learn it wasn't. So I need a new TV now.

Back on track:

So here's my situation, I have $1350 cash, 3 dump banks and no boxes on order with a car that gets 17 miles to the gallon. A trip to my dump bank costs me ~$5. I realistically can be using around $900 of that, the rest is going towards more payments.

Should I
a) sell off $1000 worth of silver, and attempt to get back into the game with some bigger numbers? I could CRH with 2 grand for a while.
I have to sell at spot, which sucks

b) try to stick with clear wrapped dimes and dump clear wraps at random banks to save on gas?
I take away a third of the banks I visit. I tend to get 50% paper wrapped 2011's

c) Survive for a bit without it?
The majority of my free spending money comes from CRH (stupid student loans and everything payments)

d) Turn to a life of fighting crime?
Then steal from those who I defeat.

Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
I'm thinking "d" :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Sorry for your misfortune. I would't just write off the security deposit. Don't know exactly how to go about recovering it, but don't just forget about it.

You can live without TV. I have for over 5 years........

Maybe you can work a deal with the auto repair shop with some of your CRH finds. Pay them in Silver??

The amount you have to 'play' with isn't as important as just CRHn'. Some folks on here are playing the game with a lot less than 1K. Just don't go into debt rounding up funds to buy coin with.

Just a few thoughts. Hope your luck changes for the better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I think you should be considering legal action against your landlord. Presumably he has breached a contract with you (the lease). Some states require the landlord to keep security deposits in separate accounts and failure to do so can lead to increased damage amounts you can recover, assuming you have not trashed the place. If it is not too late you should document the condition of the place before you leave, showing you have done no damage, etc.

You might try small claims court if you don't want to hire an attorney (if the legal fees would be more than you can recover it does not seem worthwhile to go that route) . If the landlord failed to inform you of the pending foreclosure (hid info from you) perhaps that could be used to seek punitive damages if landlord's behavior was willful, etc??

Maybe you can find a lawyer who will take the case on a contingent fee basis (probably not likely), but if you can do some of your own research you might fare well in small claims court, especially if the landlord owns property you can try and attach if you get a judgment.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I have seen deadbeat landlords who keep collecting rent from the tenants while not paying their mortgage on the property, and one day the sheriffs show up and kick the tenant out and tenant has no idea what is going on.

I hope they have a special place in he!! for landlords who do that to their tenants.

Jim

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75
Tough situation to be in.....but I agree with Jim on this. Small claims court is the way to go. No body likes to go in front of a judge if they don't have to. I'm no lawyer, but as I understand it all you need is an address where the guy is living so he can be served. Check it out.

OP
OP
Y

Yougot

Feb 25, 2011
I work at a law firm, I have done plenty of research on the topic.

From the moment of transfer at the foreclosure sale, he was required to give the security deposit to the new landlord. The new HO is responsible for the return of our deposit regardless of if he gets it from the old HO.

However they are making the claim that we have no proof that we were living there at the time, we gave a 30 day notice that we later canceled, and they are claiming that we moved out on that date. The pushback was a verbal agreement and we paid rent accordingly. The only way we can recover our deposit is by proving we were tenants at the time of sale, which legally speaking is impossible. I can make a very good argument using text's/utility payments, but there is no way for us to prove we were still there to a judge.

I sent a couple of E-mails outlining what points I would be taking them to court over, and requested that I simply receive a part of my security deposit back (minus cleaning/repair fees). However its pretty much an empty threat, as I do not have the documentation I need... But they don't know that.

The problem with small claims is if I fail, I owe all of their attorney fees on top of my own, which would be more than the amount of cash that I have.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would use 1 bank as a buy bank and the other 2 as dumps.

Order 5 boxes a week from the 1 bank and do a box a day alternating between the dump banks dumping and buying every day.

That's kind of what I do now. Only I get 2 boxes on Thursday and 2 on Friday, then I do 2 boxes of dimes on Monday and 2 more on Tuesday.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that sucks that your landlord did that. I'm in a similar situation money wise, but I have about 400-500 that I can roll hunt with, and go to garage sales with. I've still been pullin silver with this small amount of money. I had a lot of bills come up, and had to spend a lot of money this year. Don't sell any of your silver unless you have to. If your going to sell silver so that you can try and find more, than what's the point in selling it?? Work with what you got. If you sell $1000 worth of it, there's no guarantee that your gonna find a bunch more. Just keep at it, I know what you mean though. I am used to hunting with about 2 grand, and it is a lot easier to find the good when your workin with more money. Keep your head up and stay in the game, just do it on a smaller scale for now.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I say that you save your silver...personally, I don't think silver is done...$75-$100 silver is an easy spot price if the economy gets shaky.

Just work with what you have, and be happy. Work the clear wraps, and limit the dumping liability with that.

Keep your chin up!!!!!

BTW, I only use $1000 a week, but I focus on FAST flips!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread