What's new

CRHing in Japan!

Coins4Cheese

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
657
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
What's up everyone? I've been thinking about CRHing Japanese coins. Since I live in Japan, I don't get to search a lot of American coins, except for the ones on the US bases (witch is not alot!) So anyways, I'm thinking about stopping at Japanese banks, and asking for 100 yen ($1) coins. I read that from 1957-1966, they were made out of .600 fitness of silver. Do you think the silver value exceed the face value of the coin? Also, I plan on searching 10 yen coins (10 cents) I'll look for the ones before 1959, because they had reeded edges, unlike the modern un-reeded 10 yens.
I know that there are Japanese bank rolls, but the ones I seen were in shrink wrap. If anyone has ANY info about Japanese banks, coin rolls, etc, it will be deeply apreciated. HH all!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Do you think that the Japanese gov. culled all the silver? CRHing in Japan could be like CRHing in Canada; virgin territory! Or it could be a nightmare, with all the silver gone. What do you think?
 
Upvote 0
I know nothing about Japan but if there have been silver coins in Japanese coinage, you can bet someone has been pulling it out of circulation. Only way to know is to try it out. Find out if there is a coin shop locally to you and just drop in for a look if that exist over there. They might even have some books you can look through that might give you more ideas. Try checking out the books that deal with World coins, I am sure there are a lot out there. Wish I knew more. Happy Hunting.
 
so far i was able to find this for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_yen
http://www.coinnews.net/category/japan-coin-news/
apparently the coins are low mintange as i found this:
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/pdf/t4_5.pdf
here's a few on ebay, although they say silver the prices don't seem to reflect it:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Xin-Long-Gallery__W0QQ_armrsZ1
here's some more info:
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9902E1DE1630E132A25752C1A9629C94669ED7CF
here is a s#!% load with weights and diameters
http://www.omnicoin.com/search_results_adv.aspx
wow my head is spinning
 
Some info I found digging around.

JAPAN

10 SEN .800 Silver 1901-1902,1904-1906
10 SEN .720 Silver 1907-1912,1913-1917
20 SEN .800 Silver 1901,1904-1911
50 SEN .800 Silver 1885,1901-1905,1906-1917
50 SEN .720 Silver 1922-1926,1928-1938
1 YEN .900 Silver 1901-1906,1908,1912,1914
1000 YEN .925 Silver 1964 OLYMPIC GAMES COMMEMORATIVE
 
Very likely you are in Virgin territory. Try it you can't lose.

Golden Silver
 
Quick thought, since 1 Yein = 1 Penny is it possible to but Yein coins and melt them for profit? I bet someone here can check it out! ;D I'm wondering now!!
 
DAS7NY said:
Quick thought, since 1 Yein = 1 Penny is it possible to but Yein coins and melt them for profit? I bet someone here can check it out! ;D I'm wondering now!!

They probably are made from rice paper... :D
 
the current 1 yens aluminum silly ( plus most places legally frown on you melting their money down --japan is one of the last places you want to go to jail --prisoners are scum in their eyes --foreign prisoners even more so)---late 1885 , and early 1900's era to 1917 * and pre WW2 (1922-38) are the peak silver years for japanese silver coins --the loss during WW2 wiped them out fiscally (so no silver coinage afterwards till the 1964 1000 yen olympic coin)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom